Best kind of poultry for bug control

animal boy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 9, 2012
Ok. So I had 4 chickens but sadly the other day 2 died of still unknow causes to me ( one seemed to poop it's guts out)
1f625.png
the other I'm just not sure. Anyway and now I'm down to a RIR and a little cochin bantam. I'm thinking of getting more birds but I want something that does a better job at eating pest, spcifically flies and mosquitoes. My chickens really don't seem to eat any thing that flies. I heard that guiena fowl are great but I love in a suburban area and my one neighbor could not stand the rooster I had so I think their out. What would be my next best choice.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if chickens are your best bet for fly and mosquito control. I'm not sure if my birds have ever caught a fly and mosquitoes seem to be so small for them to see. I've heard guineas are champs at overall bug control but again...not sure about the insects you mentioned.

I'm just wondering if you have treated your chickens for coccidiosis? Guineas I've always heard were great for eating ticks and other bugs, but are very noisy. We live in the country, and the best things for mosquito control are barn swallows and bats.

I don't think poultry would be good at mosquito control but I've seen people who set up posts with rows of bird houses for some type of bird (probably barn swallows I guess) and it helps keep the mosquitoes down. I've heard of fish being used too.

Back
Top Bottom