Donovan8892

Hatching
Sep 26, 2020
If you had to pick one breed of chicken that lays the most eggs and lays the biggest eggs what would it be? So far, I have been most impressed with Golden Comets. The eggs are not jumbo, but they are consistently pretty large. So what is your overall favorite and most efficient laying hen?

black_cat

Free Ranging
May 21, 2020
Connecticut
I only have really high production breeds...my red sex links probably are the best. My other chicken is a white leghorn, and I'd say that she's the best but she has has some issues with no shell eggs.

MarkJr

Yard Bird Enthusiast
Premium Feather Member
Jun 15, 2020
Elkton, OR
So far my cranky, grumpy, crotchety sapphire gems have given 5-6 eggs a week since 22 weeks (8 weeks so far)

If eggs are your focal point, hybrids are what your looking for.

MarkJr

Yard Bird Enthusiast
Premium Feather Member
Jun 15, 2020
Elkton, OR
Also add in that the Gems are running 60-70g eggs pretty consistently. Every once in a while a small (50-55g) egg shows up, but rarely

berryncherry

In the Brooder
Aug 4, 2020
So far, I have been most impressed with Golden Comets.
I've got to agree with you. I have two comets and they lay nearly every day. I also love how comets don't make much noise while laying. One of my leghorns always screams very loudly to let everyone know that she wants to lay.

WindingRoad

Songster
Nov 21, 2018
Maine
If you had to pick one breed of chicken that lays the most eggs and lays the biggest eggs what would it be? So far, I have been most impressed with Golden Comets. The eggs are not jumbo, but they are consistently pretty large. So what is your overall favorite and most efficient laying hen?
White leghorns hands down.

BuckeyeAmy69

Songster
Mar 9, 2020
NW, OH
Black Australorps. Unlike hybrids, they don't peter out after their first year. I had a dozen black stars (black sex links) that laid like machines their first year. Their second year they looked like hell, and laying was not what I expected. I decided to sell them all and stick with heritage breeds, even if they don't lay as much. I think the hybrids just burn out and aren't as hardy as the heritage breeds based on my experience.

berryncherry

In the Brooder
Aug 4, 2020
Just a thought...if you have leghorns too, are they all supposed to be this noisy before laying?

Top Bottom