Best laying bantams

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SullyCarter, Sep 26, 2008.

1. SullyCarter

SullyCarter Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2008
    Pacific Palisades, CA
    What is the best breed of bantams for laying. I like the size and the docile-ness of the bantams. Any help would be awesome!

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Leghorns. I have white and light brown. The white ones I have are very docile, the lt brown ones are spazzes. But they lay summer and winter, and in enclosed spaces. They lay average sized eggs.

I dont have any experience with these breeds but possibly RIRs, Salmon Favorelles, Barred Rocks.

I had some Orpingtons who lay larger eggs but not quite as often, and winter time wasnt good.

I heard Favorelles lay in the winter.

I also heard that Dorkings are good for the winter laying.

3. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    What about dominiques? Seems they would lay well in the winter because of their historic heartiness. I've got some in my bator, so I guess I'll see for next year!

4. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

My bantam barred plymouth rocks lay every day. [​IMG] Sometimes TWICE a day.

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Quote:I have one that I hatched from your eggs and she is very nice. She hasnt started laying yet. [​IMG]

6. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I have one that I hatched from your eggs and she is very nice. She hasnt started laying yet. [​IMG]

Oh my gosh will you send me a recent picture of her? How old is she? I'd LOVE to see it!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  7. Sahara

Sahara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Keystone Heights, FL
    Quote:This is an excellent breed for hardiness and egg laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by