Best materials for roosts?

I used 2X4"s, wide side up. I routered/rounded off the edges, and painted them. They sit in notches, so they are easily removed for coop cleaning.

55557_img_1365.jpg

Roosting at night and been able to cover their feet hasn't been a problem but I like the way you have it set up above. The space in adding onto my coop I'm putting most of the roosts in.

I used 2X4"s, wide side up. I routered/rounded off the edges, and painted them. They sit in notches, so they are easily removed for coop cleaning.

55557_img_1365.jpg
This is a great idea and solves that issue in constructing my coop. I like the fact that the removable roosts are all the same height and no one has to bicker for the highest one.

Can those fluffy butts fly up that high?

This is a great idea and solves that issue in constructing my coop. I like the fact that the removable roosts are all the same height and no one has to bicker for the highest one.

Can those fluffy butts fly up that high?

On the same height, but they still gripe and argue with each other at roost time. Yeah, they hop right up there, no prob. I do have a lazy hen, that hops up on the nestbox step, before going all the way up.

An ideal roost is fairly wide so the birds can cover their feet with their feathers when it’s cold, and it should not be metal or natural materials (such as a tree branch because they have sharp pieces and are uneven). A two by four is an extremely ideal roost. Wide, you can sand it (I didn’t), and comfortable for the birds. I use two two by fours and I have never had a single issue. The coop was built so that they are removable, so if they get too poopy I can replace them, and I can take them out if I need it do a deep clean.

I'm redoing my coop come spring an was thinking of replacing my roosts which are large thick tree branches. Should I use something else?
i have 2x2's on two sides of the roost and a flat 2x10 board across the middle so they can choose to roost on the 2x2s or on the flat board if they want. most of them have chose to roost on the 2x2s. the board is nice for a couple smaller ones that love to roost flat and is also easy to clean poo off of. I have three Buffs that love to fly up on a 2x4 window sill and huddle together and i often see them on the cam at night standing up for a few minutes then cuddling together...like they are stretching their legs in the night..lol

Back
Top Bottom