Best meat breeds?

I am on week 3 with 25 Delaware “Broilers” from Murray McMurray.

This is my 3rd set of chicks lifetime. Most of them are growing well. They are about double the size of the layer chicks I have in the brooder with them. Some of them are actually out growing their feathering.

They are quite friendly and expect food whenever my hand goes into the brooder.

I do plan to keep 7-10 for breeding purposes.
at what age do you usually slaughter?

If you do Cornishx, plan around your weather, specifically the heat index. They are pathetic little guys, and really can't handle high heat. We grew some this year, and had a fan for them at their part of the coop, which helped keep them alive. Even at 80F they were panting!
Home raised will taste best, but can't ever compete with the super cheap grocery store birds. Personally I like the Freedom Rangers better; real chickens who aren't miserable most of the time, and who 'taste like chicken', not like the grocery birds. It's an acquired taste though.
Also, if you plan to use a processor rather than doing it at home, make an appointment very early!!! We made our appointment three months ahead of time, the earliest available when I called. Then, counted backwards and got chicks when they would be ready for that date. This has been true both in 2020 and this year, so be prepared for next year. Holding especially Cornishx birds longer is very tricky, and unlikely to go well.
Mary

The largest of the McMurray Delaware’s at 3 1/2 weeks. There are a few a slightly smaller. And the rest are 70-80% this size. Also 3 runts.

Attachments

• E4D0C813-80D4-4A53-B079-A296CA2AC8A2.jpeg
    E4D0C813-80D4-4A53-B079-A296CA2AC8A2.jpeg
    252.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 3B99ED13-074E-4A2D-ADEF-4FE89086633E.jpeg
    3B99ED13-074E-4A2D-ADEF-4FE89086633E.jpeg
    243.4 KB · Views: 7
The largest of the McMurray Delaware’s at 3 1/2 weeks. There are a few a slightly smaller. And the rest are 70-80% this size. Also 3 runts.
Are you keeping a running thread of your experience with this line anywhere? They got my attention as soon as I saw them, and just as soon as I can extricate myself from town and get back to where I want to be, these were on my experiment list. So your experience is very intriguing to me, and I like the start they seem to be off to.

Back
Top Bottom