Best mites/lice prevention habits for new coop/run

Magnolia76

Chirping
Mar 21, 2022
South Dakota
I read a lot about how to get rid of the mites and lice but how can one prevent them altogether?! Any good habits or techniques? New coop and new run. I plan on changing bedding every week or two. Pine shavings, DE (yes I know it’s controversial but I’ve used it before many times and like what I read about it) and PDZ sprinkled make up the bedding. The run is dirt and in a pine tree forrest. I try to pick up food scraps but I’m sure I miss the tiny pieces. A dust bath that they don’t use yet (they are 7 wks old) with wood ash, DE, sand, and dirt. (I’ll only have wood ash in winter so no more until this winter ). I put raw apple cider vinegar in their water because I’m one who uses ACV for everything. What can I do additionally in the coop or run to prevent them altogether??? Any good things to do routinely to prevent ? Any advice or wisdom would be much appreciated. I think my biggest fear with chickens is finding out I’ve got an infestation!

Attachments

• B660B7F4-C3D2-4647-B79D-C17705A1DC24.jpeg
    B660B7F4-C3D2-4647-B79D-C17705A1DC24.jpeg
    989.7 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
DE (yes I know it’s controversial but I’ve used it before many times and like what I read about it)
Then you never read what I had to write about it! :lol:
I put raw apple cider vinegar in their water because I’m one who uses ACV for everything.
The birds should have just fresh clean plain water available at all times. You can put out a second waterer with ACV in it but it isn't going to do anything wonderous for them. It is useful for treating sour crop but, as you are requesting in this thread, preventing sour crop is better. For that I like to feed fermented feed for as close to half their daily ration as possible. It's very easy to do and keeps their guts in good health.

For external parasite prevention, they need to dust bathe. Just plain old ordinary dirt works great. They like to dig out their own dust bath sites. In the 4 years I've kept chickens only once did they have a very mild case of lice. It was easily treated with a single dusting with permethrin based poultry dust. I do sprinkle this into the broody nest before setting a broody as a preventive measure though.

I would add some pine needles and wood chips to the floor of your run so they have something to dig through.

Then you never read what I had to write about it! :lol:

The birds should have just fresh clean plain water available at all times. You can put out a second waterer with ACV in it but it isn't going to do anything wonderous for them. It is useful for treating sour crop but, as you are requesting in this thread, preventing sour crop is better. For that I like to feed fermented feed for as close to half their daily ration as possible. It's very easy to do and keeps their guts in good health.

For external parasite prevention, they need to dust bathe. Just plain old ordinary dirt works great. They like to dig out their own dust bath sites. In the 4 years I've kept chickens only once did they have a very mild case of lice. It was easily treated with a single dusting with permethrin based poultry dust. I do sprinkle this into the broody nest before setting a broody as a preventive measure though.

I would add some pine needles and wood chips to the floor of your run so they have something to dig through.
Thanks for the reply! So would adding material for them to dig through not increase the chances of bad types of bugs? If you don’t use DE what do you use to make up your coop bedding? Just pine shavings or something else? So if I’m understanding your reply you don’t do anything except keep it natural really and you haven’t had an issue? What would be the cause of people getting the infestations then? I’m trying to figure this out. They keep dumping pine shavings out of the coop when they exit so that is in the run but I keep raking it out so that it’s not nasty I figured bare ground would keep mice and parasites away. No? Maybe I should add some bark mulch or fresh dirt So that when I’m raking the run it can mix up with the poo. How do you clean up your run or do you just let it be?

Clean coops and clean runs is the best way to prevent external parasites. In my 10 years of keeping chickens, I've had lice twice and the infestation wasn't bad in both cases. The lice were brought in by wild birds. If you let your flock out, it's important to keep an eye on them all the time and catch the problem at the beginning to treat right away.
I clean coops and runs everyday. I'm using PDZ in the roosting boxes and always check for sings of parasites. My runs have dirt and sand. The poop gets sifted everyday too.

Thanks for the reply! So would adding material for them to dig through not increase the chances of bad types of bugs? If you don’t use DE what do you use to make up your coop bedding? Just pine shavings or something else? So if I’m understanding your reply you don’t do anything except keep it natural really and you haven’t had an issue? What would be the cause of people getting the infestations then? I’m trying to figure this out. They keep dumping pine shavings out of the coop when they exit so that is in the run but I keep raking it out so that it’s not nasty I figured bare ground would keep mice and parasites away. No? Maybe I should add some bark mulch or fresh dirt So that when I’m raking the run it can mix up with the poo. How do you clean up your run or do you just let it be?

Here's my article on Deep Bedding: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/using-deep-bedding-in-a-small-coop.76343/

Deep Litter in the run doesn't present any increased risk of parasites and the ordinary bugs that enter a composting system are actively GOOD for the chickens -- both as extra protein snacks and for enabling them to engage in natural scratching and foraging behaviors.

In the wild, chickens are creatures of the forest floor. A bare dirt rectangle is an unnatural environment.

I've had chickens about 5-6 years in two separate batches and never yet had any kind of parasite infestation. Give your chickens a healthy environment to live in with plenty of space, good nutrition, lots of pure water, and the opportunity to engage in natural behaviors then keep and eye on them and treat problems when you find them. :)

Clean coops and clean runs is the best way to prevent external parasites. In my 10 years of keeping chickens, I've had lice twice and the infestation wasn't bad in both cases. The lice were brought in by wild birds. If you let your flock out, it's important to keep an eye on them all the time and catch the problem at the beginning to treat right away.
I clean coops and runs everyday. I'm using PDZ in the roosting boxes and always check for sings of parasites. My runs have dirt and sand. The poop gets sifted everyday too.
So in my situation I don’t let them out because I’m surrounded by national forest plus my neighbors would not appreciate the chickens getting into their yards. You clean your coop and run every day!!?? How do you clean your run? I was just thinking about if I keep raking out out debris there will be a giant hole for a run eventually lol. So poop is what leads to the infestation? The less chicken poop the less chances?

Here's my article on Deep Bedding: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/using-deep-bedding-in-a-small-coop.76343/

Deep Litter in the run doesn't present any increased risk of parasites and the ordinary bugs that enter a composting system are actively GOOD for the chickens -- both as extra protein snacks and for enabling them to engage in natural scratching and foraging behaviors.

In the wild, chickens are creatures of the forest floor. A bare dirt rectangle is an unnatural environment.

I've had chickens about 5-6 years in two separate batches and never yet had any kind of parasite infestation. Give your chickens a healthy environment to live in with plenty of space, good nutrition, lots of pure water, and the opportunity to engage in natural behaviors then keep and eye on them and treat problems when you find them. :)
If I put a bunch of material in there how am I to clean it out? Just keep adding material and then raking it out every week? How do you “clean “your run and how often?

My husband designed a "scooper" to pick up poop in the runs by sifting it. We bought a duster at the hardware store ( the one that comes with a broom) we cut off a big hole at the bottom and stapled hardware cloth (smaller than 1/4 of an inch to catch the small poop) I go around the run and pick up poop with it, then add it to the poop pile to compost.

So in my situation I don’t let them out because I’m surrounded by national forest plus my neighbors would not appreciate the chickens getting into their yards. You clean your coop and run every day!!?? How do you clean your run? I was just thinking about if I keep raking out out debris there will be a giant hole for a run eventually lol. So poop is what leads to the infestation? The less chicken poop the less chances?

If the run is not roofed it is completely unnecessary to rake out the run bedding until you're ready to harvest the finished compost. Plenty of dry organic material will take care of any possible odor.

Coarse wood chips, the sort you get from a tree-trimming service, are often considered the gold standard for the management of mud and odor but any sort of dry organic material works.

If I put a bunch of material in there how am I to clean it out? Just keep adding material and then raking it out every week? How do you “clean “your run and how often?

I "clean" my run when either the litter gets too deep so that it's interfering with the fence or when I want to harvest the compost or when it develops an odor problem that can't be solved by adding a couple more inches of dry organic material.

If your run is covered so that the bedding stays dry then it can be managed just like the Deep Bedding system in my article.

Back
Top Bottom