Best nest box 'padding'?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Renthorin, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Renthorin

Renthorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Dexter Michigan
    The coop is done and all I'm waiting on is to get my lazy but out and finish the run.

There are 4 nest boxes (12x12) with a 5" lip on the front. I want to fill them up with something soft but as my coop floor is sand I don't really want straw/chips all over the sand.

Can I use astro turf (fake grass) or the like? Is that soft enough or is there a better solution?

I have two-inch thick soft foam padding but I don't want them eating that.

Suggestions?

Will

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:I have heard that some use the fake grass stuff. I'd say give it a try and see!!

3. amrose

amrose Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2011
    astro turf might work but not sure how you would keep it clean.

4. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    My girls really prefer straw because they like to burrow around in it and get it situated just so every single time they go in there. You know, "Nesting."

Not sure that the astroturf thing would give that same nesting experience.

5. Renthorin

Renthorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Dexter Michigan
    Quote:I would cut the squares a little larger than the nest box so I can put some shredded paper under it and make it more of a bowl.

It would not be attached so I can lift it out and clean or swap in new stuff.

I may just break down and use straw like the rest of the sane world [​IMG] just wondering what my options are.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by