Best nest box pads

I put several layers of the "waffle" type shelf liner in them. It's slightly spongy, slip-proof (so hens don't accidentally slam eggs together getting in and out), and can be washed off with the water hose and dried on the line.

Those look really nice. I just use cardboard cutout under the hay. I replace it every two weeks. I think I will switch to those pads

Quote:
I have been using the cardboard cutouts too and for $1.95 thought I would try these box pads but the shipping with this vet supply is kind of pricey.

Looks just like fake grass - you could buy some at the hardware store and cut it yourself cheaper than buying it per square.

I am a new chicken momma(bought our babies in March), and some of my hens just started laying on Sunday. If we use pine shavings in our nesting boxes, so we need these? What exactly are these used for?

I was thinking of buying the rubber waffled shelf liner and cutting it to size. They also make them into placemats.

so we need these?

It's a matter of preference and nest box type. Some prefer a washable surface in their flat nest boxes. Those with roll out nest boxes find it very useful to have a type of material which will slow the roll down a little without stopping the roll, so might use this.

Most flat nest box owners just use bedding -pine shaving or straw or both, and change it as needed.​

I have a flat nest box but no matter how much hay or shavings I add to it, they dig a nice nest out of it and leave the bottom wood surface so that the egg can easily break. In my case, I have to have some barrier or the eggs get cracked.

I tried thin plastic lining and they kicked it up when digging their nest so i don't think the waffle shelf lining would work for me.

Back
Top Bottom