Best options for nest boxes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cluky, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Cluky

Cluky Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Chicago
    Hello everyone, I need some opinions. What is the best option for nest boxes? I have seen everything from really nice wooden ones, to plastic ones, to really buckets... So what works? What doesn't? I do not want ot go overboard and being new to chicken raising....seed to know.

2. AVintageLife

AVintageLife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2012
    New Hampshire
    I'm in the same boat, my five girls will be 16 weeks tomorrow so I want to get the nesting boxes set up so they can get used to them. A friend gave me two cute wooden wine crates lined with linoleum but I think there would still be some construction to use them (a little platform to get them off the floor and a little slanted roof overhead?). We're finishing up the run this weekend and my DH has reached the end of his coop building rope if you know what I mean. I'm thinking of getting one of those covered kitty litter boxes for now and spend the winter deciding what I really want. I'm hoping one nesting box will be OK but feel like I should set up two so they have options. They are so spoiled.....

3. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    The think the material is not really that important. It needs to be a place where the hens will safe and tucked away. Make sure you have enough space (about 4 hens per box tops) and that they are still easy for you to access and clean. I would also make sure you can block them off if necessary. Make sure that your roosts are higher than your boxes or they will sleep in them and make a mess.

Mine are wooden boxes that are built into the wall of my coop. Really simple partial cubes, nothing fancy. I can access them through the main part of the coop and I also put a small door behind them so I can clean them out easily from either side. It has worked great for me. I had a problem in the beginning with them sleeping on top of the nests so I blocked that area off - they then switched to the roosts no problem.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by