Best Options for Owning Multiple Ducks

I have less experience than you but I did have that one guy and he was AWFUL.

I hope you never get one of THOSE drakes.

Everybody else, well we've talked, you know, I love them. But there was that one guy who was so out of character from everyone else.
That does sound out of character for sure. I hope neither of us ever have one of "those", Evidently it happens alot in Mallard derived breeds I read it on here quite often.

Knowing me the planning could take as long as next year. I do want to add to their flock so its not just two against all the chickens. Dont get me wrong they get along fine I just feel they deserve more of a group so to speak. I like the ones I have now so I'm going to be very picky on who gets added, they'll have a high bar to meet haha. I want to do it, but it will take me some time.

Knowing me the planning could take as long as next year. I do want to add to their flock so its not just two against all the chickens. Dont get me wrong they get along fine I just feel they deserve more of a group so to speak. I like the ones I have now so I'm going to be very picky on who gets added, they'll have a high bar to meet haha. I want to do it, but it will take me some time.
Just what we like to hear, you'll have done the work and be ready when you feel it's time. Please keep us updated.
thumbsup.gif

Does it make much difference what type of ducks you mix? I have 2 pekins and looking to add. Can I add anything? Or specifically anything to stay away from?

Does it make much difference what type of ducks you mix? I have 2 pekins and looking to add. Can I add anything? Or specifically anything to stay away from?
It's best to try to add ducks that are close to the same size as your pekins, a pekin drake mating a smaller duck could injure her. if it's adding a drake to larger ducks it wouldn't matter that much.

Thanks. I would stay same size. Just looking to add a bit of color. Looking at maybe a cayuga drake. Not sure why, but I like the idea of little black and white ducklings (if that day ever comes).

Thanks. I would stay same size. Just looking to add a bit of color. Looking at maybe a cayuga drake. Not sure why, but I like the idea of little black and white ducklings (if that day ever comes).
Cayugas are beautiful ducks with the irridescent green and purple among their feathers. That would be a nice choice and Pekins mixed with another breed makes a really pretty duck and you get the best of both.

Ideally it's 2-3 ducks per.. it's tricky the more you add the more conflict can occur. I have a pretty good size flock and many drakes.. i don't recommend that for everyone, drakes can be a handful and most definitely are capable of going after all sorts of birds(chickens too) mine don't but i don't want to rule the concept out.

My flock breaks down into small sub flocks.. so frankly i have not found having more makes for some big flock of happiness. i have lost count how may breakdowns i have of birds and they change given the season(ie; mamas with their babies and/or brooding)

I free range the flock so don't mind some extra drakes.. they toddle about with the girls and will stay and fight.. my girls can fly(mainly Muscovy here) so they are good at distraction. My Pekin drake has 5 females btw, which given the propensity of mallard drakes to being a bit needy is a good thing.

If you want to add to your flock, i would get more girls.. don't add more drakes.. drakes fight and most definitely will gang up on females.. you have to know your drakes well and sometimes some won't work in multi drake flocks, i sold one last year whom did not.. he was not cut out to share that status so he left.

Back
Top Bottom