Best Pet Goats?

Well as usual great advise here on BYC. We have Nigerians and Pygmys and love them both also thinking or a Nubian or a Kiko. Bottom line is get a bottle baby from a breeder that plays with the kids lots. Oh on your list I did not see an LGD (an Anatolian would look great with new goats and chickens?

The best goats for pets are Fainting Goats. They are a novelty to have and are usually super friendly. Also they are easy to contain as they don't really climb or jump (they would fall over first). For just pets I would get some weathers because they seem to only crave human attention and don't have thoughts of breeding. Some does would be good if you can't find a wether and they can be kept mixed.

I have two really sweet saanen wethers so of course i'm biased, but I agree with the general ideas being expressed... bottle fed... wethers.... spend lots of time with them, and have good fences
wink.png

I have an Ober mix and let me tell you....
She is one sweet goat! Ill run across the yard and shes right after me. Its rather funny. She loves to be scratched and talk to. If Im sitting down on the porch steps shell come curl up next to me.

I love her
love.gif

I would say Boer Nannies or African Pygmy goats ( i am not real sure what my other goats are but they are extremely friendly
big_smile.png
) Mutt goats for sure
wink.png

Last edited:
i,m building a fence and know how smart and crafty goats can be and would like some pointers from an experienced person

Pygmy goats, because they're small. But if you want to milk them and sell their milk, nigerian dwarfs.
small, cute? yes. But inside those adorable faces are little devils. meanest things ever

i,m building a fence and know how smart and crafty goats can be and would like some pointers from an experienced person
1. with goats, there is no such thing as overdoing it. have a fence kinda like this:
4 feet high
2. one acre a goat minimum. unless you plan on doing rotational grazing, which is better for them.

Back
Top Bottom