Best Place to Buy Ducks

WalkerH

Songster
8 Years
Apr 5, 2011
Southern Maryland, USA
So the back story is I bought two ducks, just as lawn pets, back in April or May at TSC. Both turned out to be boys, well I have enjoyed them so much, along with my family, that I am looking to buy more. Preferably Buff Orpingtons or Welsh Harlequins. Although I would like to get three females and a male so I can have eggs and perhaps ducklings if I ever feel so inclined. The problem being I can't seem to find anyone that is selling them. So now I have resigned myself to buy them online. I know lots of people recommended mypetchicken, but considering they do not sell ducks I have to find a different place. Is there anywhere that sells ducks that has a good reputation? Thank you for your help in advance. Also if you were wondering they will be housed separate from the other two male Pekins so there won't be over mating, hopefully.

Metzerfarms.com! I got three female welsh harlequin, and 1 male also 2 female rouens, I got mine there, they are now 1 week old and the cutiest things ever!!! I would check it out.

Quote:
We have gotten several shipments from Metzer Farms this year. They have great service and all ours have arrived healthy and alive. The great thing is that you can get sexed ducklings. You pay a little more, but that way you get the right ratio off the bat.

We have also gotten ducklings from Holderread Waterfowl farm. But they mainly ship ducklings from around March through June.

Quote:
Thats what I got them for. I had gotten 7 ducklings from my near by co op and only two were girls! So my mom said I could get 6 more so I got the 4 welsh and the two rouens.

Yeah I got the two Pekins just cause they were so darn cute when I went to get some chicks. Both of them turned out to boys, but they are full of personality and so entertaining I want to get more.

Look for a duck rescue locally first, you may get some older females ready to lay right away. The Waterfowl sanctuary in my neck of the woods (Ariz.) has 400+ ducks, plus geese, turkeys, chickens, and an emu. Typically they just want birds in that situation to have a good home so the sanctuary will no longer have to feed them. Rehoming fees are cheap, and sometimes free.

If you can't find a sanctuary with what you want, go to Metzer as a first choice for ducklings every time. Good quality breeding, high survival rate in shipping, second to none service. John Metzer really stands behind his birds and his business and has a lot of helpful resources on his website.

I'd first search for a local breeder. If none available, Craigslist is a good place to find small numbers of ducks.

If you are going to order, Holderread is the very best place to buy ducks, but he won't ship small orders. So next best would be Metzers and they do ships small orders.

I didn't notice where you are located, but you can check through the Meet-ups section to see if there are going to be any poultry swaps near you.

Back
Top Bottom