Best place to get BC Marans?

Cadeau

Songster
9 Years
Jan 19, 2011
I'm new to Marans, not new to raising chickens, but I'm finding so much information that I'm getting all confused...

So - can anyone give me advice on the best place to get chicks to start my new flock?
I'm interested in both Black and Blue Coppers

I think I'd like to breed for color and type....not really sure yet.

Thanks for any advice!

In my opinion the best to do is get hatching eggs, and there are LOTS of us online at BYC here with some very nice stock of BC Marans hatching eggs. Plus, you get to see the egg color while incubating them.
wink.png

My personal preference is getting eggs from several sources, hatching them out, then culling down to the best to breed.

That was Plan A!!
I got eggs from 4 different sources....and ended up with 3 babies, one that it looks like will have to be culled due to a crooked leg.

Plan B is to get chicks and then hatch my own eggs when the time comes.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong - any advice? (other than a better incubator?)

Have 2 incubators:
1 old barrel style still air - fluctuates between 98.5 and 102.5
1 LG w/ turner and fan - stays right at 99.5 pretty consistently

humidity
45% for incubating
70% for hatching
(have calibrated hygrometers)

Have 2 temp/hygrom in each just in case!!

Let them sit 12-24hrs to settle at room temp before setting
stopped turning at day 18
lockdown at day 19

I'm very new to hatching eggs, but 3 out of 53 is VERY POOR odds...and VERY expensive!!

Interestingly, I incubated 9 BLRW along with the BCM and 7 out of 9 hatched and are doing great!!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Your best bet is to find a local breeder. Many of us sell on Craiglist or the auction sites. What state do you live in? Black Coppers are notoriously difficult to hatch. My broody hens always do a better job than my incubators. If you find someone local you can ask to see the parents and the egg color so you know what you are getting. Hatchery stock are probably not going to give you a dark egg. I believe the Marans clubs have breeder listings also.

Thanks!

I'm in northeastern PA - not much going on up here, except cows!!
I'll go look up the website!

Back
Top Bottom