Best practice? One quail just died

Heyruthie

Chirping
Nov 1, 2015
Virginia, USA
I'm new to this, and I recently acquired 4 quail, but one of the quail didn't look good from the day I got her ((long story--someone else picked them up, or I wouldn't have even brought that one home.) I hoped for the best, and after talking with a few fellow quail owners, I was advised to see if she "improved" with better living conditions at my place. She seemed to be doing OK, and I talked myself into believing that she was "improving." Unfortunately, tonight she looked bad when I went in to feed the quail, and when I checked back an hour later, she was stone cold dead and rigor mortis had already set in.

What is my best practice for the other quail at this point? I'm very hopeful that she wasn't sick with anything contagious, but I want to be better safe than sorry. I've removed the dead quail's body, of course, but will a thorough cage clean be sufficient? Also, what can I be watching for with the other birds in case it was contagious?

P.S. a few details: when I say she "looked bad" from the first day, the quail had puffy tissue around her eyes, and slightly inflamed nasal area above her beak. She also had a very hooked beak, but that didn't seem to keep her from eating, and her weight was good. But she always looked lethargic compared to the others.

Last edited:
:frow :hugs sorry for your loss!

Im not a long time keeper, still rather new myself, but ive noticed that there arent many quail prople around :(

Maybe i can help speed up the process by asking a few common questions tho :) is there any sort of discharge from the eyes or nose on any of them ever? Are there any small black spots visible anywhere? Was the one you lost smaller? Any sneezing going on there? Are the eyes bright or are they dull on any of them? Are the feathers ruffeled or laying flat?

My only two cents is that if it is a contagious disease than the others have already been in contact, probly before you even got them there. Be careful about quarenteening any new birds from your flock also, because its my understanding that once a disease lives in your flock, on your property, it will always be present.

Thank you. The other birds don't have any of the symptoms you describe. The one who died had puffy eyes and they looked dull to me. She also had whitish stuff around her mouth/beak, but her beak was really, really hooked--so I thought she was a messy eater. She was not small--in fact she was one of the bigger birds. Her feathers were smooth and glossy. What kind of black spots would I look for? The others seem to be doing fine today. I'm hoping for the best, but I will post an update if I notice any changes! Thank you for chiming in.

Thank you.  The other birds don't have any of the symptoms you describe.  The one who died had puffy eyes and they looked dull to me.  She also had whitish stuff around her mouth/beak, but her beak was really, really hooked--so I thought she was a messy eater.  She was not small--in fact she was one of the bigger birds.  Her feathers were smooth and glossy.  What kind of black spots would I look for?  The others seem to be doing fine today.  I'm hoping for the best, but I will post an update if I notice any changes!  Thank you for chiming in.

Your very welcome, im glad to do my part, which is basically nothing right? :lau

Im glad the others are doing fine so far! My concerns are; ive had fowl pox, and that made two of my hens have discharge from the eyes, and/or it could certainly be a respitory illness. I would expect to see others sneezing though. The black spots im reffering to would look like scabs, or boils maybe :/

I really wish i could do more!! :( ill be back to keep an eye on you :)

Back
Top Bottom