Best rooster for business

BlueGold

Chirping
Jul 14, 2019
Castro valley, CA
So I have about 12 different kinds of chickens and want to get a rooster for business, I want all the chickens to look like their mothers, is there any roosters that have some sort of gene that is weak and won’t show in their offsprings?

If you cross breed you never know what you'll get. Of course there are some exceptions for sex-links but most won't breed true. For example, if you put a New Hampshire Red male or a Rhode Island male with a Delaware female, The female chicks will look like the father (NHR or RIR) and the male chicks will look like the mothers (Del). If you put a Delaware male with NHR or RIR females, all of the chicks will look like the Delawares. There are some good threads on this. Good luck and have fun...

So I have about 12 different kinds of chickens and want to get a rooster for business, I want all the chickens to look like their mothers, is there any roosters that have some sort of gene that is weak and won’t show in their offsprings?

It seems you are looking for a rooster to breed but that does not contribute any of his genes. That would be a very unusual rooster, and it would even be very unusual for any creature of any kind.

Just out of curiosity, what breeds of hens do you have?

A breed with high fertility rates are Naked Necks, however most or all of the babies will get the naked necks.

I have 3 Easter Eggers, buff Brahma, light Brahama, buff Orpington, Mille fuer d uccle, silver Wyandotte, silver Wyandotte Cochin, blue laced red Wyandotte, 2 dark Cornish, and 3 rare Indonesians chickens that we don’t know yet we just bought them

I have 3 Easter Eggers, buff Brahma, light Brahama, buff Orpington, Mille fuer d uccle, silver Wyandotte, silver Wyandotte Cochin, blue laced red Wyandotte, 2 dark Cornish, and 3 rare Indonesians chickens that we don’t know yet we just bought them

Why do you want the offspring of each hen to look like the hen? Are you wanting to sell chickens?

I would just suggest picking a breed that you like and getting a rooster of that type to breed with the hens.

I agree. There is no way one male of any breed that you can breed with your females that will give you chicks that look like the females. All you will get is cross breeds. If you sell the chicks and they go to breed them they will not breed true. I would pick out the breed you really want to work with and get a male of the same breed and breed them. I do have some different breeds I work with but they are all separated so they don't cross breed. Good luck and have fun with whatever decision you make...

"Pure (Heritage) Single & Rose Comb Rhode Island Reds, Rose Comb Rhode Island Whites, Single Comb White & Rose Comb Dark Brown Leghorns."

I like your taste in chicken breeds.

Look up Hennie gamefowl

Not my pic

28e5835a14488dd497460ef0f1c50e33.jpg

c8b4c8b9c9246b4f25a83962f5c94e6a.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom