Best Roosters for Coyote/Hawk Alert?

My old rooster, a Blue Andalusian/ Black Jersey Giant was awesome at letting the flock know what was going on. My current rooster, an Ameracauna, has grown into the job to the point that I know his "hawk" warning from his "dog/coyote" warning. I've put four coyotes on the fence in the last 6 months- that is to say, I shot them and hung their carcasses on the fence at the back of the property as a warning to the pack. I've got a couple extra roosters that are shaping up to be good boys. I'm in central Texas; if that's convenient to you, you're welcome to pick one up. I'm just going to eat them anyway.
Are Rooster harder to manage if you need to pick them up to treat them for anything? I have grandchildren an I want them to be safe. Sorry for the questions but I’ve never had a rooster before. I’m also in central Texas. Things have been good for 2 years but I just had my first hawk attack so now I’m afraid they have found me.

I am surprised that no one has suggest a good, strong electric fence yet.

A rooster alert is nice, but hot wires are on duty 24/7/365 and they bite back hard. (I'm told that baiting them with bacon is the best way to teach predators "Don't go here! It HURTS!")

I am surprised that no one has suggest a good, strong electric fence yet.

A rooster alert is nice, but hot wires are on duty 24/7/365 and they bite back hard. (I'm told that baiting them with bacon is the best way to teach predators "Don't go here! It HURTS!")
Will the coyotes choose to go over an electric fence or is it a get zapped once and they avoid it kind of thing? I did start looking into electric fencing but hubby says we are too windy for it to survive. We have at least 1-2 days a week with 35mph winds and in spring/fall is up to 50mph.

Will the coyotes choose to go over an electric fence or is it a get zapped once and they avoid it kind of thing? I did start looking into electric fencing but hubby says we are too windy for it to survive. We have at least 1-2 days a week with 35mph winds and in spring/fall is up to 50mph.

Canines tend to test barriers with their nose rather than go straight for jumping over it.

I can't answer that question about wind, but the people at your local farm supply probably can. Here's a useful article on electric fence: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/a-treatise-on-electric-fences-for-poultry.72229/

I know this is an older thread, but electric fencing will work. I don't know about the poultry netting, but the electric "tape" or regular wire holds up perfectly in the wind. We have the same wind you do and nothing to stop it either. We had gusts to 61mph a couple of years ago and the fence was the same after as it was before. If you used T-posts rather than the little step in posts, I would think that even poultry netting would be able to handle the wind.

Back
Top Bottom