BEST roosts ??

if bark harboring parasites becomes a concern, one could just strip the bark off, or grab a new branch periodically to replace, and use the old one for firewood. i dont see that really being a deal breaker if branches are what you have available and you (and chix) like them, no?

also, i know many use em, but since we are talking design, im not a huge fan of droppings boards and the like. if u have deep litter, which is pretty much the best option all around in the first place for most coops, they arent necessary as the night droppings will become incorporated into the litter naturally by the chix without your attentions--or if they dont, you grab a rake and take ten seconds to stir them in by hand as necessary--but i almost never need to do this...

I use tree branches or saplings, anywhere from two to four inches in diameter, and also have birds roosting on the 4" fence post rafters eight ft. up in the coop. I've got bantams and big birds, and they pick roosting sites based on flock dynamics more than roost width, as far as I can see. I would always use branches over lumber, but everyone may not have that option, and the birds will do fine anyway. Mary

To clarify, my house does not have dropping boards. I too chose the deep/built up litter method as the right way to go for me. I only mentioned as one way to manage a house when space is tight. If that is the case, I happen to think the external nest boxes are a better option in a small house. Some will differ and use them. Their choice if they do.

Mary mentions that some of her birds will roost as high as 8 feet if given a chance. Key phrase there is "if given a chance". This dovetails with some of my own observations, along with reports here of birds preferring to roost on top of play sets, on top of coops, etc, when given a chance to. I watched mine go to roost a few days back and despite the roost being nearly 3 feet off the floor against a back wall that is only 4 plus feet high at the back, I observed two birds unsuccessfully attempt to move higher and make for the narrow protruding edge of the top plate on that back wall. Too narrow to land on, so both fell off, but I thought at the time, how high would they go......given a chance? Apparently some will go 8 feet or more.

The downside to going that high is come morning, they have to fly down, and in doing so they need some room to land. If space is tight, they may not have that much room and thus may injure themselves in the process. But, for those with small coops and large covered runs (assuming covered run is absolutely predator tight), I think it would be interesting to put in a high roost in the covered run and my guess is a lot of them will use it by preference. At least so in the hot summer months. We already know that given a choice with ladder style roosts, most will make for the highest rung on that ladder, so if space is tight, that may lead to crowding and bickering, which is already hilarious to see play out as they desperately jockey for position in the waning moments of twilight.

Happy roosting.......one of the great unknowns and mysteries of raising chickens.

To clarify, my house does not have dropping boards. I too chose the deep/built up litter method as the right way to go for me. I only mentioned as one way to manage a house when space is tight. If that is the case, I happen to think the external nest boxes are a better option in a small house. Some will differ and use them. Their choice if they do.

Mary mentions that some of her birds will roost as high as 8 feet if given a chance. Key phrase there is "if given a chance". This dovetails with some of my own observations, along with reports here of birds preferring to roost on top of play sets, on top of coops, etc, when given a chance to. I watched mine go to roost a few days back and despite the roost being nearly 3 feet off the floor against a back wall that is only 4 plus feet high at the back, I observed two birds unsuccessfully attempt to move higher and make for the narrow protruding edge of the top plate on that back wall. Too narrow to land on, so both fell off, but I thought at the time, how high would they go......given a chance? Apparently some will go 8 feet or more.

The downside to going that high is come morning, they have to fly down, and in doing so they need some room to land. If space is tight, they may not have that much room and thus may injure themselves in the process. But, for those with small coops and large covered runs (assuming covered run is absolutely predator tight), I think it would be interesting to put in a high roost in the covered run and my guess is a lot of them will use it by preference. At least so in the hot summer months. We already know that given a choice with ladder style roosts, most will make for the highest rung on that ladder, so if space is tight, that may lead to crowding and bickering, which is already hilarious to see play out as they desperately jockey for position in the waning moments of twilight.

Happy roosting.......one of the great unknowns and mysteries of raising chickens.

My coop is 8x8 and 7' high I'm planning on having 6 nest boxes straight in about 1-2' off the ground. And the roosts along the front and left wall probally 4-6' high. Hope that works for them.

I saw a roost once that looked like an old fashioned tool carrier.

They could roost on the handle that ran the whole length of carrier. The bottom had a 3 in. tall lip on 4 sides. Two opposite sides had about 10 in. high piece of plywood with notch to hold the Handle/ roost. It wasn't very long, maybe two feet? and could be lifted off and dumped. Could have sand or shavings in the bottom. Had a plywood bottom.

Two or three could fit on top of a shelf. When my rogue chickens find the garage, some of these could save on a lot of mess on the top shelves there. Guess I'll have to make some for myself.

Back
Top Bottom