Best run materials?

spencedasavage

Chirping
May 16, 2020
Birmingham, AL
To put it simply, my three ducks have torn apart their run into a muddy mess. Although I don’t plan on keeping them in the run constantly, due to many hawks being in our area, I have been keeping them outside with access to their house and aerially covered run sunce 4 weeks of age. Now that they are 8 weeks, they are much larger, but still vulnerable, and recently we have gotten extreme rain, and the run has turned into a muddy mess. I had been out of grit for a bit, so they resorted to eating the dirt/clay (live in a backyard filled with red clay) and have now dug shallow holes filled with water. I saw in other threads that river rocks seem to work well in those areas? I am going to Home Depot soon so I can pick up all the materials needed to solve this mess. The upper half of their run is where they like to chill out, and it is not nearly as muddy as the lower half. Also would sand surrounding the rocks work or would that end up being a stink put?

Depending on the size, rocks may contribute to a few problems like Bumblefoot or Arthritis. I use wood chips in mine, and have had great success, would that be an option for you?
I could,
Depending on the size, rocks may contribute to a few problems like Bumblefoot or Arthritis. I use wood chips in mine, and have had great success, would that be an option for you?
I could, but the muddy ness of the run might cause them to go through them ridiculously fast, and I need wood chips for the house I built for them. They really aren’t over there much, only when they need food and water, so maybe I could make a little path for them? I will add my run isn’t very big, as it’s only purpose is to raise them to when they can go out into the yard, and also to keep them safe while we are out of town.

Wood Chips, not the shaving's you buy at the Feed store.

They don't get stinky when wet, absorb a lot, and make great compost once decayed.
Okay I will definitely try that! I 100% can get those, as my dad loves to grill and we have them in constant supply (and he also loves compost for his garden) so this actually is the perfect solution. Thank you so much!

I had wood chips from a tree company. Within 10 days half my ducks had bumblefoot. Not saying don't try it, just that it may not work. I was super disipointed it did not work.

Not sure what "stage" the bumble was at, but I doubt that it would occur in such a short period of time. I think it probably happened before the wood chips. I have used wood chips in my run for 2,1/2 years, my duck's feet are checked regularly and not one has Bumble.

I've had a lot of wood chips delivered here this spring/summer from various landscape companies. LIke 6 loads. It really depends on the chips. Some I've gotten have been with lots of sticks and sharp pieces of wood and some have been perfectly nice uniform chunks of chips. There has been a major difference in the quality but since they are free, I'm not going to complain for sure. You just have to look at what you are getting and make sure they will be good for your duck's feet before you put them in. I know some of what I've gotten I would not put in the duck run but at least 2 of the 6 loads I definitely would have put in the run.

Back
Top Bottom