Best sitters

Lady Nilstria

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 12, 2009
Greetings!

I want to get some Silver Sebrights, and I heard that they aren't very good sitters, so some people who raise them get another hen to hatch the eggs and raise the chicks if they don't want to go with an incubator.

Therefore, what breeds, standard or bantam, are really good sitters and mothers? I'd probably only get one or two of the sitting breed, so the eggs they themselves produce don't mean much to me.

From what I've read, Cochins and Old English Games.

I don't yet have any firsthand experience with this, but I have five Cochins and plan to see how they'll do later this year.

Silkies are hands down the best setters there are. In fact, Silkies are commonly used by breeders who raise quail, pheasant and other gamebirds, to hatch eggs that the gamebird hens wont set on.

I've personally known Silkies who have tried to hatch tennis balls, and currently I have a Silkie hen who has been setting on air for a month and a half. She is definitely dedicated if she's anything!

Last edited by a moderator:
BANTIE COCHINS!!!! GGEEZZZZ.. i cant get mine to STOP sitting.. specially during the spring, they wont wait for a clutch of eggs,, they will go broody sitting on only ONE egg!!!!
and i had a GREAT bantie ameracauna.. she hatched 2Xs a year and was an awesome mom.... very pretty and tiny,, slipped through almost any fence i put up..
sadly, the dogs got her when she was 3,, i miss her

yeah.. none of my seabrights have ever gone broody... but i have a few seabright X duccle X cochin that are good sitters...

Last edited:
Game hens I think are the most protective mothers.
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom