Best source for plastic hardware cloth?

@NancyNurseCxMama I don't think it will be an issue as long as you don't have a wide solid barrier like bricks, stones, landscape timbers between the run and your beds. If your skirt comes out a foot and you only have soil and plantings over it you should be good. Keep in mind the chickens will likely "taste" anything you plant that they can reach.

Yep---that's why I chose those plants for the bed.
I'm trying, NTW!! :)

Nix the pavers.....
.... they defeat the function of the skirt, which is that the animal starts digging at the base of the wall, hits the mesh a few inches down and moves on, maybe trying again in other spots along the base of wall with the same results of hitting the mesh. They don't know to back up away from wall and dig there to get under mesh.

If you cover the skirt with pavers, them may well start digging at the outer edge of the pavers and end up digging under the mesh.

Hope that makes sense.
I had to think through this concept, along with a couple more posts but I get it. The coop is close to cement so I can't go out very far - 12 on is pushing it. Thanks for the help!

One wall of my run looks like it will be close to a cement retaining wall. I plan to adjust things a smudge to get the posts and wire right up there, not leaving more than enough room for one course of pavers. I won't need to bury hardware cloth on that side, as the pavers with the retaining wall will make digging impossible. I have the pavers already, so cuts the cost of hardwire cloth by 1/4.

Back
Top Bottom