Best Spill Free feeder

Here is what we use. It is pretty close to no waste. It is hanging from the roof of the run. From top to bottom.
  • 4" PVC cap. This keeps the feed dry from occasional leaks in the roof.
  • The top tube is 4" PVC. This section was added to provide greater capacity
  • The bottom tube 3" PVC and has a notch cut out to allow feed to spill into the
  • 6" PVC cap. The feed tray is bolted to the 3"tube
This design has worked with both pellets and crumble. The hens have to reach in so they can't really bill out much feed. But there is occasional leaky roof. So, we let the feed run out every once in a while. rinse with a hose to free any feed that gets stuck near the bottom. I saw a youtube video of this design. They suggested the whole tube be 4". We didn't originally have any 4". Found that later. This feeder holds enough feed for about a week.

Attachments

• 20201203_074042.jpg
    20201203_074042.jpg
    872.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20201202_095119 (1).jpg
    20201202_095119 (1).jpg
    916 KB · Views: 15
That's not good.
Yeah, last year was horrible with rats. We'd trap 2-3 a day. Eventually we got rid of them. The population started dropping off. after we introduced a Guineafowl, no more rats.

What do the Guineafowl do?
Here is what we use. It is pretty close to no waste. It is hanging from the roof of the run. From top to bottom.
  • 4" PVC cap. This keeps the feed dry from occasional leaks in the roof.
  • The top tube is 4" PVC. This section was added to provide greater capacity
  • The bottom tube 3" PVC and has a notch cut out to allow feed to spill into the
  • 6" PVC cap. The feed tray is bolted to the 3"tube
This design has worked with both pellets and crumble. The hens have to reach in so they can't really bill out much feed. But there is occasional leaky roof. So, we let the feed run out every once in a while. rinse with a hose to free any feed that gets stuck near the bottom. I saw a youtube video of this design. They suggested the whole tube be 4". We didn't originally have any 4". Found that later. This feeder holds enough feed for about a week.

And the rats don't eat out of it so low to the ground. When my chickens are in the run they rats just go in the coop and have a feast.

And the rats don't eat out of it so low to the ground. When my chickens are in the run they rats just go in the coop and have a feast.

I have not seen any rats. An occasional mouse scoots away or is gobbled up by the girls. We did have a blue Jay trapped in the secure run the other day. Opened the human door and it flew away. Any spills get eaten by the girls as I think it is easier to eat off the ground than reach into the feed tray. The top of the feed tray is about 12" above the ground.

3 of the girls can squeeze in to feed at the same time.

Attachments

• 20201203_082301.jpg
    20201203_082301.jpg
    593.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I use the Rent a Coop feeder & have had 0 spillage. No critters yet & it's stayed dry outside for a year, up on a cinder block.View attachment 2435253

I have the same one. My chickens lift feed up onto the lip of the elbow ( lower part) and then flick it out. The lower lip is full of pellets. And all over the coop floor. My chickens don't eat it up all the time. Rats jump right in the elbows and feast while the girls are in the run.

I have the same one. My chickens lift feed up onto the lip of the elbow ( lower part) and then flick it out. The lower lip is full of pellets. And all over the coop floor. My chickens don't eat it up all the time. Rats jump right in the elbows and feast while the girls are in the run.
Ha! I guess I have neat girls, lol. Have you raised it up off the ground?

Back
Top Bottom