1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best time of year for newbie to try incubation?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bald k9, Nov 29, 2009.

1. bald k9

bald k9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    Hello, OK ,I got bit by the bug and now I want to try and hatch some eggs myself, what are the major do's and donts, and do I need a real expensive bator? about how much does it cost to incubate, I mean like incubator, lights,heater,etc? , I will do more research of course but
    I just wanting to know if it is hard to do? [​IMG]

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Start in the spring. You can get a good incubator for about $50 to $100 an you can build one for about $20 or less.

3. RevaVirginia

RevaVirginia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Reva, VA
    Spring indeed! Hard? I wouldn't say that...more like "worrywart mother hen".

When your face is the 1st they see the bonding phenomenon is a fantastic pleasure.

Have fun.
    [​IMG]

4. aalbury

aalbury Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    GA
    I'm a newbie as well and I wish I'd :

Waited until spring
    Had a better thermometer

And I'm thinking of making a hatcher to move them from the bator to during the lockdown period or buying a bettor bator. I have a cheap $45 hovabator. I'm still coming to conclusions, but still air is apparently difficult to maintain constant temps and humidity in.

Trying for high humidity in dead dry, heated, winter air is difficult.

5. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh you mean I'm not the only one!?! I was figuring on just buying some chicks locally, but after seeing all the threads on hatching, not to mention pics, I'm considering buying hatching eggs instead. Ohhh man... haven't even decided on my coop design yet and already scouting eggs... *shakes head*

You mentioned it being an added complication to try and get warm wet air in dry cold winter...

Would having your bater in the bathroom help do you think? I've seen threads about brooding pens being in a bathtub, but donno about the bator.

Just wondering since we have a bathroom that isn't used much... if you had the bator in there AND kept the whole room warm (portable heater) and wet do you think that would help?? Like when you open to candle, refill water, etc. do you think that the room being warm/wet too would help things? Figure it couldn't really hurt... but I donno.

I'm terrified of messing it up, hence the waiting until spring when it's warmer thoughts in the first place... bit comforting to know I'm not the only nervous one thought.

6. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Uh oh... Im on day 8 of my first ever hatch... ( I DIDNT WAIT 'TIL SPRING!)

So far I think Im doing good though. I have 4 thermometers in there and 2 Humidity readers on my little LG.. (Im prepared.)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  7. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    i'm just going to stick eggs this year under a broody hen. i had bad luck with getting a lot of roos from my hatching luck! (and i just started my flock last March09!)

8. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:HEHE, that so sounds like me... my 'award' in 4th was "Miss Everything But The Kitchen Sink"...
    And that was for school... doesn't count packing for camp at all.

Best of luck with your eggs, please keep us posted!!

9. Luvs chickens

Luvs chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Massachusettes
    I am new to hatching. My first eggs are going into lockdown today. I am so excited. I hope they hatch. Also have some mili ducille eggs cooking. Hubby bought me a brooder what a great guy.

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    We are lucky here. We can hatch during the winter and still be safe with a heat lamp.

We don't incubate between June 1 and August 1... it's to hot to put them outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by