Best time of year/month to get chicks?

As with anything, the best time to get chicks depends. What do you want them for?

If you just want pets that happen to produce breakfast, you can get them at any time. I'd say late spring is probably best - brood them inside as it is starting to warm up and then get them outside when they feather out at 6 to 8 weeks without freezing them.

Downside to spring chicks? You won't have eggs until fall. Remember, your chicks won't start laying eggs until they mature (5-6 months of age). So, April chicks won't lay until September/October. They are likely to lay through winter, but frozen eggs aren't the most fun.

Want eggs all spring/summer to sell at a farmers market? Get ready to lay pullets in the spring or start your chicks in late summer/early fall. I have October hatched pullets doing just fine in unheated coops despite our crazy winter weather right now. The best part about fall chicks is that they'll be laying here in March/April or so just as everyone else is getting babies.
That’s helpful - thanks!

I always got them in spring. My mid April chicks usually started by the end of August, around 20 weeks. I got chicks hatched on 8/27 last fall & they started at 23 weeks and are really ramping up now. I liked fall chicks, except I raised them in the coop & the temps were down in the 30s at night for a few days when they were 3 weeks old. They did fine with their brooder plate & quit using it at 5-6 weeks. Have fun!
Thanks so much!

April is a great time to get time I think. Where do you live, it really depends on climate, temp and when you want them to start laying
I’m in Tacoma, WA. We don’t seem to get “extreme” weather often (in the summer it doesn’t get above 90 degrees often, winter is mostly wet but occasionally we get snow). I don’t really have a preference on when they begin laying. I guess I was just sort of looking to see if there’s a time that’s better to raise them. From what I’ve read so far April should be perfect - when they get transitioned to their coop it should be warm enough. Thank you!

I’m in Tacoma, WA. We don’t seem to get “extreme” weather often (in the summer it doesn’t get above 90 degrees often, winter is mostly wet but occasionally we get snow). I don’t really have a preference on when they begin laying. I guess I was just sort of looking to see if there’s a time that’s better to raise them. From what I’ve read so far April should be perfect - when they get transitioned to their coop it should be warm enough. Thank you!
If you haven’t already found a place to buy them I recommend McMurray Hatchery.
They will ship them to you

Back
Top Bottom