1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best time to take off the insulating cover from the windows in my coop?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chiko, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    I just want to know everybody's opinions about what time of the year to take off the cover on my coop's windows. I've had it covering them all winter, and it's kind of warming up, but gradually. I live in Utah. So what would be the best time to take it off and let the fresh air into the coop again?

2. countrygoddess

countrygoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

I live in Vermont and I usually take the plastic off when the night time temps are consistently in the high 30's/low 40's.

3. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    As fresh air is important YEAR round. The front of my coop is open year round. When the night temps are consistently over 40F, I'll open up the side and upper windows. In the summer, the main door will be hooked open.
    Jack

[​IMG]

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    X2, I never seal my windows as the fresh air seeping in is important to prevent moisture build up and stale air. I leave one window at least cracked open all year round.

5. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    Thank you so much for the tips! I feel terrible now, Mine's been sealed all winter! Poor things, but I'll be sure to never fully seal it again. Thank's a lot!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by