Best true dual purpose….

MTR

Songster
Apr 13, 2020
I’m about to go dark on here for several months while we move. Since we’re starting our flock over I’m reevaluating my breed or breeds I want to keep. I’d like to hatch my own keeping roosters for meat and ladies for laying. My front runners now would likely be Bresse or perhaps red rangers or kosher kings. I am looking for best egg yield - meat yield possible.
Thanks

As long as you get a fast grower like a barred rock you'll get a fresh supply of eggs in 20 weeks or so. Just be sure to let the cockerels grow long enough to add a little flavor .Pressure cookers make them tender.
My only thing with Barred Rocks and Delaware, etc… are that they take long to mature to a reasonable weight. They certainly are good on the egg production side.

After years of wanting such a thing, I have realized that a super egg production breed is the most cost effective.

Yes, the carcass is smaller, BUT they reach maturity so much more quickly, lay so many more eggs, and are much more frugal with feed.

My first choice would be breeder Leghorns. The production Leghorns lay a tad bit better but do not have the longevity.

Also, with a flock of Leghorns, say 20 or so, one or 2 will go broody, and in my experience have always been the best moms. That broody ratio is perfect.

In some of the more meat oriented breeds they ALL go broody.

After years of wanting such a thing, I have realized that a super egg production breed is the most cost effective.

Yes, the carcass is smaller, BUT they reach maturity so much more quickly, lay so many more eggs, and are much more frugal with feed.

My first choice would be breeder Leghorns. The production Leghorns lay a tad bit better but do not have the longevity.

Also, with a flock of Leghorns, say 20 or so, one or 2 will go broody, and in my experience have always been the best moms. That broody ratio is perfect.

In some of the more meat oriented breeds they ALL go broody.
Interesting thought

Back
Top Bottom