Best type lighting for coop? Help please

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by New adventure, Apr 24, 2009.

1. New adventure

New adventure Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Hi, I'm just finishing my first coop and need to put in lights, outlets etc. My DH was wondering if Flourescent lights would be a good idea. I don't think they would help with warmth in the winter and I would have to also put in a heat lamp. But I do like the fact that the 4' bulbs would light up the whole coop nicely. My coop is 8' x 7' and 6' high.

Does anyone have an opinion?

2. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Not an educated one, but replying to bump the post.

Personally, I can't stand flourescent lighting, but maybe the chickens don't care?

3. New adventure

New adventure Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Thanks, I hadn't thought about that either. I hate flourescents too, I was thinking about the Daylight ones but they do that flicker thing too that makes my head ache.

That settles my question, NO flourescents!

4. Chicken Rustler

Chicken Rustler Grabs em n runs

Flourescent will spread the light better, however I have heard of them having bad effects on some animals Also standard flourescent take a long time to warm up during the cold weather so unless you really want to spend the money on the HO flourescent lights I would just use incandescent, or quartz halogen.

5. Eric in NC

Eric in NC Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2008
    One 60 watt standard light bulb will light that up fine and then you have the option of putting a heat lamp in there if it gets cold.

Just put a cage or cover over it (so the birds can't fly into the glass or you can't break the bare bulb with a broom handle- don't ask!).

6. Freebird

Freebird Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2007
    Springdale, AR
    I would suggest you make sure your wiring, switches and sockets are rated high enough to support the heat lamps you want to use. The typical, off the shelf, light sockets are not rated high enough for heat lamps - usually only 60-100 watts max - you'll probably need a heavy duty type of socket. In my coop, I used an outdoor, positionable dual floodlight socket and mount, and wired each socket to a seperate switch so I could use a standard incandescent bulb for when I just needed light to see and the heat lamp could be turned on seperately.

7. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    Since I don't have electrical source out to my horse stall turned chicken coop. I ran two good extention cords from my shop out to my coop that I then installed a computer power strip to the inside of the coop. They have holes on the back so you can mount on wall. I then mounted a flush mount light fixture just inside the door with the pull chain that I wired with a plug end I plug into the power strip. I'm using the curly Q flourescent type bulb in that fixture because they don't get hot.

I currently also have the stock tank brooder out there with the brooder 250 watt red heat lamp I turn on at night above the stock tank that the 9 wk old girls still choose to sleep in rather than the roost I built. It's still getting down to the 30's at night.

8. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    I don't think florescents really heat up do they? I wouldn't count on that for heat in the wintertime.

I use a ceramic heat emitter - love it. Radiant heat but no light. Can be left on 24/7. Expensive, but lasts.

Also, I hardwired my heat lamp socket to a light switch by the human door. In the fall/winter/spring I can control my heat lamp with the flick of the switch. In the summer, I just put a regular light bulb in it. Love it.

You may need a heated water dish as well, so consider that when you are choosing your outlets/power needs.

Have fun!

9. Chicken Rustler

Chicken Rustler Grabs em n runs

I think I need to clarify what I said about the flourescent lights "warming up". I did not mean as a source of heat what I meant is that in the cold weather they take a long time to produce much light. They are not good as a source of heat. Also if you are going to use a fixture for a heat lamp do your self a favor and get the ones with the porcelin (sp) base and socket.

Sweet cheeks and everybody else. BE VERY CAREFUL how much you try to run with extension cords. The longer cord you use the larger the wire you need. If you have too much load on too small of wire it will cause the wire to melt and possible fire hazard.
    If anybody has any questions or needs help PM me and I will try to help you determine what you need.
    Rob

1 person likes this.
  10. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Fluorescent lights do not produce much heat, but more importantly they just refuse to come on if it's cold outside.

I went to get a bug light for my porch light and noticed that they have a CFL bug light now, but I know it's a waste of money because I have a portable outdoor light with 2 CFL's and if it's below like 40 degrees it doesn't come on reliably.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by