Best type of incubator?

The octo 20 is the only storebought incubator I have ever owned. It is about as close to idiot proof as you can get, as long as you remember to keep the water reseviors filled, it will hatch a rock with feathers painted on it. I still use my Octo 20 whenever I am just wanting to hatch a few eggs. Mostly I use my homemade cabinet incuators. I have built many different configurations and sizes of cabinet bators and have found noting totally idiot proof. Case in point, I have had one bator running continousely since Sept. I dont even know how many eggs I have hatched in that time frame. 3 wks ago I purchased some Delaware eggs to try and start a small flock with, the sunday before due date I unplugged the bator while I was adding more eggs and refilling the water tray. I unplug it to keep it from blowing out all the hot air and humidity while I have the door open. As luck would have it (this is the idiot part), when I got thru refilling the bator, I forgot to plug it back in. I didnt find the mistake until Wendsday eveing when I went back to put the Deli eggs in the hatcher. I lost over 100 eggs, includeing the 25 Deli eggs that where due to hatch on friday. Nothing is totally idiot proof, especially if your an idiot like me.

Back
Top Bottom