Best type of surface for the run located in the NW

hannakat

Songster
9 Years
Jun 5, 2010
Beaver County, PA
We are located in NW PA. We're having the coop/run redone and enlarged. The area is always shaded and does not dry out quickly. The whole run will be covered by roofing and I plan to put plastic on the sides before the snow flys. However, I'm not sure what to put down in the run....sand or pine chips.

I'd love to hear what others with similar weather conditions are using.
big_smile.png

I'm in the Seattle suburbs. I just have bare ground, covered with chain link. I dump lawn clippings or leaves etc., in the run; clean it out occasionally.

Imp

Imp
Thanks!! I just have one rescued hen...looking for a female companion as we speak...up here in Everett. I've been trying to figure out the best 'flooring' for my small run. Yay, I must be on the right track as I have some turkey fence down with a little straw and some wonderful leaf and well chipped mulch in about 2-3 inches (to start). I've been worried that she might get some nasty chicken-foot-condition from the constant wet. Guess birds should be ok with it but I'm a new chicken mom and what I don't know is alot!

With a covered run, wet shouldn't be an issue. Of more concern would be if there are sharp things that might cut their feet. That might lead to bumblefoot.
It is not necessary to mulch leaves, even the big maple ones. The chickens will do that for themselves. Watch that it doesn't get moldy. (turn a lot, if it is very thick) Mold brings it's own set of problems.

Imp

Quote:
Big leaf maple leaves in the run. What a great idea. Lord knows, I've plenty of big leaf maple leaves.

I used to get them knee deep till the windstorm a few years ago blew down a bunch of trees. Now I just get them ankle deep.
roll.png

Imp

Ummm...didn't think of that. We're having a gutter installed, which will also cut down on the wet. I've read about using sand but don't know if it's good for areas with snow/ice/rain. There's bound to be some that gets in there even if I run plastic on the sides for winter. Right now the ground there is so mucky between all the rain we had and poor drainage, and it's the poor drainage I can't do anything about.

hahahaaaa! I meant to say NW PA in the title....oh well.... Seattle definitely gets the same kinds of weather as PA!

Duh......
hu.gif

Last edited:
Lord, I didn't chop up those leaves! My darling neighbors daddy gave me a truck load of this beautiful mulch that I just used in a pinch.
I have a shredder that I bought for my late husband. I can't even start the darned thing!. I've had this sweet little hen for about 6 days. She came to me as a homeless chicken so eveything is pretty jerry-rigged at the moment. This weekend I will be making a nice home for her...then I'll find her a room-mate!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom