Best uk layers feed?

Aug 12, 2023
Hi, as I have mentioned before I’m quite a newbie when it comes to chickens and I’m wondering what the best uk layers feed is. It’s finally approaching the time that they need it but I’m just so overwhelmed by all the different brands and I have no idea what to go for. I have also seen people mention that they add more things into their feed such as sunflower seeds, herbs, chilli flakes, corn etc. I want to make sure they get a good amount of nutrition but also don’t want to spend a huge amount. Is it also necessary to leave a bowl of oyster shells for extra calcium?

I would really appreciate some advice from fellow uk chicken keepers. Thank you!

Is it also necessary to leave a bowl of oyster shells for extra calcium?
I'm in the US, but ^^ that is a good idea. Crushed egg shells are good too.

As for feed, look for something with about 20% protein. It might have a name like "all flock," or "flock raiser."

Consider anything else a "treat." Sunflower seeds, meal worms, "scratch," anything that isn't their feed.

For my chickens, their #1 favorite "treat" is their regular feed wetted into a mash. This they can have every day, because it's their regular feed. But they love it like it's something special.

Hi, as I have mentioned before I’m quite a newbie when it comes to chickens and I’m wondering what the best uk layers feed is. It’s finally approaching the time that they need it but I’m just so overwhelmed by all the different brands and I have no idea what to go for. I have also seen people mention that they add more things into their feed such as sunflower seeds, herbs, chilli flakes, corn etc. I want to make sure they get a good amount of nutrition but also don’t want to spend a huge amount. Is it also necessary to leave a bowl of oyster shells for extra calcium?

I would really appreciate some advice from fellow uk chicken keepers. Thank you!
https://millbryhill.co.uk/products/fancy-feeds-layers-pellets. This is a balanced feed/diet.
Adding corn or sunflower seeds to it takes away from it being balanced.

Frankly you've got a problem.
Most of the brands available in the UK are 16% protein and around the 4% calcium mark. I have yet to find a UK equivalent of All Flock (18% protein and 1% calcium) feed that is common in the USA and parts of Europe.
While the layers feed is fine for laying hens, it isn't for males, young juveniles and some reduced laying capacity older hens.
I've found in general the overall quality of the feed in the UK is less than that I use in Spain.

You don't say what type of chickens you have, but if they're traditional/heritage breeds like the Light Sussex, Welsumer or Legbar, rather than production hens, you might find this useful from the Livestock Conservancy https://livestockconservancy.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Heritage_Chicken_Feed_Guidelines.pdf

Back
Top Bottom