Best wat to fatten up chickens

Cowboyffa84

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 23, 2010
Lone Grove Oklahoma
Whats the best way to fatten up chickens i feed my birds scratch/layer pellets every morning and then let them out their all free range birds, but lately ive noticed their getting skinny theirs plenty of greens in the back yard for them to eat. my question is what do yall recommend feeding them to fatten them up so I can sell them, and whats the best wormer for chickens?

Worms could be the problem but let's talk feed.
Layer pellets should be available 24/7. They have all the nutrition layers need to produce well. That with pasture should give the best results. Scratch should be no more than 10% max of the diet. Grain is only about 10% protein and if a larger portion of the diet they will get skinny and not produce well.

well i buy 4 back of feed 1 layer pellet. 1 layer crumble, 2 scratch and then mix it all together and give then a bucket full every morning. what kind of wormer do you use?

well i buy 4 back of feed 1 layer pellet. 1 layer crumble, 2 scratch and then mix it all together and give then a bucket full every morning. what kind of wormer do you use?

So you're giving them twice the scratch as layer crumble? There's your problem. Scratch isn't feed, it's more of a treat. It is very low in overall nutrition. The poster above said no more than 10% scratch and you're giving them 200% scratch.

So you're giving them twice the scratch as layer crumble? There's your problem. Scratch isn't feed, it's more of a treat. It is very low in overall nutrition. The poster above said no more than 10% scratch and you're giving them 200% scratch.

It would be 50% Scratch not 200%.

Chris

Whats the best way to fatten up chickens i feed my birds scratch/layer pellets every morning and then let them out their all free range birds, but lately ive noticed their getting skinny theirs plenty of greens in the back yard for them to eat. my question is what do yall recommend feeding them to fatten them up so I can sell them, and whats the best wormer for chickens?

Worm your birds then cut back on your scratch. Your feeding way to much scratch.

Example,
If your feeding a 17% layer and adding scratch at the rate of 50/50 your birds are only getting about 12.5% protein.

Chris

Depends on what feed company's are available in your area. 1st. worm them though.

Offer calcium free choice so you can switch feeds.
Try A finishing feed or a flock raiser/finish combination. If you have a blue seal dealer close.... the fat and finish crumble would be my choice for a couple weeks, then a breeder pellet or breeder/finish combination. Cut way back the amount of scratch, or cut it out period for a while. Their free ranging IS their scratch

edited for wormer question. The best wormer would be an opinion only. IMPO it would be Valbazen

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom