best waterer and where to buy

farrier!

Songster
10 Years
Feb 28, 2009
Southern Illinois
I broke down and purchased a 5 gallon chicken waterer from TSC and almost drowned my pullets.

I would still like a bigger waterer but don't want to order one and have it not work...so where can I get a nice working waterer?

What I do is I go out and find some small rocks. I wash them, and then toss them in boiling water for a few mins to kill anything. Let them cool with the water. Then you can put them in the drinking part of your water drinker so the pullets cant fall in the water. Kind of like marbles for chicks, just larger scale.

I make mine out of 5 gallon pails, some wood and some plastic, but you could use a larger container like a 55 gallon drum

~Bryan

Last edited:
My fav so far is a 5 gallon METAL waterer. I can see that even though it was much more expensive, it's going to be worth it in the long run.

My poor chickens almost drowned because they are still in my brooder, a 300 gallon water tank. When the waterer leaked the brooder did not..........
I have just a day or two of work and then they go outside. I was hopeing to get them use to the waterer before then....not give them swimming lessons...
smile.png

Where did you get the metal one you like?

The design on the one I bought looks good but sure does not work. Both TSC ad Rural King carry it as the only type. I need a place online to get some.

I bought a 5 gallon from TSC that has a screw on top. Is this the same type you have. I could not understand why water kept pouring out of it until I found the black gasket had popped off. As soon as I put the gasket ( kind of a large rounded rubber band) back on I have not had a problem. Without the gasket it was not air tight.

I got my metal one at the feed store. I can't even remember the brand now, but if I see another one like it, I'm bringing it home.

Those are a pain. They have to be perfectly level. Then, you have to watch them fill up, if they blub blub fast, it means that the top needs to be tightened.

I found this plastic one that has a dome shaped reserviour with a neck. You turn it over into a base that has holes cut around the perimeter so the chicken can only get it's head in, not it's body. The water stays SO uch cleaner. I got it at the feed store.

i use an auto dog water that hooks to a water hose . it works great .when you need to clean it you dump it out and it refills it self . it is made by little gaint

Back
Top Bottom