Best Waterer for Small Flock

I have a 3gal bucket (with lid) that I got at Menards, and screwed 4 holes about 2 inches from the bottom. I then put two types of “nipples” in - one is more of a spout and the other has a cup. I put this on a little pedestal that I made of leftover lumber that is about 7 inches off the ground. It’s under my coop (which is 24in off the ground) so the height of the pedestal + bucket make it more difficult for anyone to get on top of the bucket and roost. I’ve tried more complicated things in the past that left me with leaking spouts or pipes and no way to fix without completely tearing apart and re-doing, so in my case/opinion, simple has been better! Also, the bucket I have is green and in the shade and I’ve had luck with not much for algae growing in there so far.

If you have the space, use a 5 gallon waterer. You will probably only have to refill it once a week.

I use horizontal nipples for my waterers. It keeps the water from getting dirty. I currently use two 14 gallon drums, that I top off once a week for 22 hens. When I go away, I don't have to worry if they have water and if it is clean. If you live in a cold climate, you will need to keep the water from freezing also. Below is a link for my heated waterer article.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ock-tank-deicer-and-horizontal-nipples.74609/

The saucer is to catch the water when they drink, the nipples don't drip .
heateded waterer 2.jpg

I would recommend a 5 quart waterer. If you only wanted to fill it up once in a while, you might want to go with a larger one, but if it's hot where you live, you may want to switch out the water for fresh, clean, cool water often anyway.

Back
Top Bottom