best way to bury wire fencing

das fisch

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 31, 2009
southern Maine
First off, thanks for having me. Just joined up with chicks on the way.
I run/own a wildlife damage control company up here in southern Maine, so if there are any questions regarding pest issues, feel free to ask away. Always here to help.

Anyway, I've seen the posts about burying wire fencing in the ground, not just laying on top... great start. One thing I'd like to add on top of this is a better way to do this to prevent the digging pests from getting in.
Most pics I've seen here the wire is just extending straight down into the trench to be buried. When this happens, the pest will dig until it hits the bottom of the fencing, and then pull the fence and go under.
What I HIGHLY recomend is to do this:
-bend the bottom foot of the wire fencing towards the outside of the pen/run 90 degrees.
-dig a trench a foot deep and wide enough to now accomodate the foot of horizontal wire.
-lay this on the bottom of trench a foot down and throw any small rocks/concrete fill/etc. on top of the wire
-backfill the trench and there you go.

This has proven extremely effective to keep digging type of pests out (groundhogs, foxes, skunks, possums, coyotes, etc.)

Thanks for the tip, and
welcome-byc.gif
from South Carolina!

welcome-byc.gif
Thank you for the great tip and welcome to the BYC forum! I'm new here, too and will be building a coop & pen soon, so I appreciate your input.

Another thanks from Colorado! Just as soon as spring returns, I will bury wire fencing just as you described. The chicks and I will sleep better at night. Thanks!
thumbsup.gif

Great tip! Right now I use 7 dogs to keep the unwanted away. But, I live in the city and am a rookie. And the pests I have to worry about are on 2 legs. LOL

Bill

First off, thanks for having me. Just joined up with chicks on the way.
I run/own a wildlife damage control company up here in southern Maine, so if there are any questions regarding pest issues, feel free to ask away. Always here to help.

Anyway, I've seen the posts about burying wire fencing in the ground, not just laying on top... great start. One thing I'd like to add on top of this is a better way to do this to prevent the digging pests from getting in.
Most pics I've seen here the wire is just extending straight down into the trench to be buried. When this happens, the pest will dig until it hits the bottom of the fencing, and then pull the fence and go under.
What I HIGHLY recomend is to do this:
-bend the bottom foot of the wire fencing towards the outside of the pen/run 90 degrees.
-dig a trench a foot deep and wide enough to now accomodate the foot of horizontal wire.
-lay this on the bottom of trench a foot down and throw any small rocks/concrete fill/etc. on top of the wire
-backfill the trench and there you go.

This has proven extremely effective to keep digging type of pests out (groundhogs, foxes, skunks, possums, coyotes, etc.)
thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom