Best way to butcher chickens/duck for beginner?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ThePigeonKid, Feb 7, 2012.

1. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    Can anybody give me a step-by-step guide to butchering, perhaps in videos/pictures? My Dad and I are planning on butchering a few of our birds.

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. ThomsonCentennialFarm

ThomsonCentennialFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Holliday, Missouri
    Watch the Featherman videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/buckley02?feature=watch You don't need all the fancy equipment he uses, but his techniques for killing and cleaning are very thorough. I hang my chickens using baling twine, but slit the throats the same way he does in the cones.

3. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    Thanks! [​IMG]

4. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    I have photo blog in my signature, that goes through how to process without much equipment :)

5. Vamvakas

Vamvakas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    North Branford, CT
    We Greeks just slit there necks with a knife, put them in boiling water to pluck the feathers, then gutt it.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  6. Felony

Felony Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Quebec, Canada
    I have just processed my first chicken using the info on your blog, and it was perfect! Thank you so much, very simple and easy that way...I just butchered and processed 2 of my laying hens (Barred Rock) and was wondering first if it is normal that there was quite a bit of fat around the gizzard (it is really cold out here, maybe it has something to do with it?) and second if it is normal that there were many different sizes of egg yolks when I removed all the innards...

Thanks again for your great blog!

7. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    There are some excellent threads on this in the "Stickies" at the top of the Meat Birds forum page.
    I guess it is now called "notable archives".
    The thread by frugal has some really good pictures showing the steps to take.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by