Best way to clean a small number of eggs.

rhschulz2000

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 16, 2011
I am going to have 9 brown egg layers next spring, so by the summer I should be getting 5-7 eggs a day. Since my family cannot eat that many, I plan initially to give them away to friends and neighbors. I see a number of products being sold for cleaning eggs, but wondered what you have learned about cleaning a small number of eggs?
Thanks for responding to my post.

I have 6 good layers and get 5-6 eggs a day.
I have two 18pk cartons that get the eggs all week and hand wash with some dish soap and a sponge.
Transfer to clean cartons and sell on Monday.
Best pets ever. They earn their own food money.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about purchasing egg cleaning equipment with just a few hens. I read somewhere here to rinse the dirt/poo off of the eggs with warm/hot tap water and to put them in the refrigerator. That's what we've been doing for a couple of years and it's working just fine. There's supposed to be something about the hotter water (do not use cold water) that helps to seal the pores so any bad stuff does not tranfer through the shells. Do not use soap. . .there's a coating on the eggs that's good to help keep them when they are stored that you do not want to scrub off.

Some people just brush off the eggs (especially if they'll be hatching them).

Good luck with your chickens!

We have a lady that buys all our eggs and does not want them washed. I have always heard if you wash them they will go bad quicker. She resells them and says that the customers don't think they are farm fresh if they are wiped clean. Sounds kind of crazy I know, but it works for me. Makes my life alot easier for sure.

Quote:
Rub them with your hand under warm water. Been working for 54 years........Pop

i wouldnt use warm water it can enable bacteria to get in through the pores of the shell i always use cool water. If they are extreamly dirty wrap them in a cool damp paper towle for 5-7 minutes then clean them... And midwest Lizabeth when you wash your face you use warm or hot water because it opens the pores on your face so why would it be any diffrent on an egg Shell? Im not trying to be rude or say that you guys who use warm or hot water are going to die... But i would always take the safe route just in case!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Rub them with your hand under warm water. Been working for 54 years........Pop

i wouldnt use warm water it can enable bacteria to get in through the pores of the shell i always use cool water. If they are extreamly dirty wrap them in a cool damp paper towle for 5-7 minutes then clean them... And midwest Lizabeth when you wash your face you use warm or hot water because it opens the pores on your face so why would it be any diffrent on an egg Shell? Im not trying to be rude or say that you guys who use warm or hot water are going to die... But i would always take the safe route just in case!
big_smile.png

I know you mean well, but here is the University of Florida's Ag School guidelines for egg handling. Sorry to be disagreeable, but all safe egg handling guidelines published everywhere, of which I am aware, state the similar facts. 20 degrees hotter than the egg. Wash them in hot water.

http://smallfarms.ifas.ufl.edu/livestock_and_forages/pdf/Guidelines for Selling Eggs.pdf

and here, for the full paper.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fe828

Best regards,

Last edited:
Fred's Hens :

Quote:
big_smile.png

I know you mean well, but here is the University of Florida's Ag School guidelines for egg handling. Sorry to be disagreeable, but all safe egg handling guidelines published everywhere, of which I am aware, state the similar facts. 20 degrees hotter than the egg. Wash them in hot water.

http://smallfarms.ifas.ufl.edu/livestock_and_forages/pdf/Guidelines for Selling Eggs.pdf

and here, for the full paper.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fe828

Best regards,​

Okay!!! Im sorry i was not aware of that! thank you for the new information!

Back
Top Bottom