Best way to clip wings?

RhodieRed78

Hatching
Jul 27, 2018
My young pullet hens keep jumping over the fence into the neighbors and getting themselves killed. -They have a dog-
We've closed and secured all the places they could be flying out, but some still get over. Only one has died, but I hope that number doesn't go up.
Anyone have a few tips?
How do you clip wings?

I'm confused by your post.....if it's closed and secured how are they still flying out?
Pictures of your set up might help.
Clipping wings MAY help, depending on how high the fence is. If it's not high enough they may still figure out how to jump over, and some birds still manage to fly a bit even with clipped wings. Here are some simple instructions, only clip one wing: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ings-of-your-chicken-to-prevent-flight.47727/

I'm sorry. I'm really not sure how they're getting out, I think some of them are squeezing out of different places where the chicken wire has started weakening. But I hope that clipping their wings might help at least until I can see where they're getting out.
Thank you.

You are welcome. But if the chickens are able to get out, then a predator will also be able to get in. Even if you are in a populated area, possums, raccoons, hawks and foxes can be a problem. I would replace any chicken wire with something stronger.

And if chicken wire is used it just a waiting game til the dog comes into your yard .... use real wire or just let them free range .... take care of them

Back
Top Bottom