Best way to cook an older rooster.

Gumbo...Talk About Good!!!
lol.png

Grandmas Chicken Gumbo

Make a dark roux with 2 cups of flour and some oil.
(You can buy ready made roux but homemade is the best)
Alton Brown has directions on his website on how to make a dark roux in the ovenmost people dont know how to make a dark roux unless they have been raised in a Cajun household.

1-1/2 gallons water
1 large hen (an old hen or a rooster makes the best gumbo)
6 chicken bullion cubes
2 pounds of good smoked sausage (Cut into bite size pieces)
1 large onion (Chopped)
1 bell pepper
2 tablespoons liquid smoke (leave this out if using smoked meat)
4 cloves of garlic
1/2 bunch parsley (chopped)
1 bunch green onions (chopped)
Salt and pepper to taste

Cut the chicken in half and place it in a large stockpot with the water and the rest of the ingredients. Simmer uncovered for a couple of hours, or until chicken is tender and falling off the bone, remove the chicken from the pot place it in a bowl and put it in the refrigerator to cool. Turn the fire off under the pot, allow to sit while chicken is cooling, all the fat will rise to the top.

With a large spoon skim fat off the top of the gumbo.

Pick the chicken off the bone and add it back to the pot and heat it through; season with salt and pepper to taste.

You can substitute just about anything for the chicken. Wild game works very well, squirrels, ducks, geese, rabbits, turkey, quail, pheasant. Just make sure to simmer it long enough to get it tender.

Serve over rice in soup bowls.
Hi,
Do you add the water and all of the ingredients to the roux? I would love to try your recipe. I make jambalaya but haven’t made gumbo before. Thanks!

Hi,
Do you add the water and all of the ingredients to the roux? I would love to try your recipe. I make jambalaya but haven’t made gumbo before. Thanks!
This is an old, old thread, and that user hasn't been around for at least three years, so you are very unlikely to get a reply, I'm afraid.
Welcome to BYC though, and don't hesitate to start a new thread if you want to!

Back
Top Bottom