best way to fatten up a pea chick

sasglm

Songster
7 Years
Sep 12, 2014
Central North Carolina
I've had a sick 8 week old chick that I nursed back with Corid and safeguard the last few days.
I just weighed it and it's at 8.8oz, one of his siblings checked in at 14.2oz.

Some of his other 3 mates are attacking him and caused him to have a little bit of blood just above his right eye yesterday. So I separated 2 of the other chicks out to another pen for the time being.

but I'd like to get him caught up, if possible, to the other birds so he can take care of himself a little better.

Would something like meal worms be good to get this chick caught up in weight to the others?

thanks
gary

I've had a sick 8 week old chick that I nursed back with Corid and safeguard the last few days.
I just weighed it and it's at 8.8oz, one of his siblings checked in at 14.2oz.

Some of his other 3 mates are attacking him and caused him to have a little bit of blood just above his right eye yesterday. So I separated 2 of the other chicks out to another pen for the time being.

but I'd like to get him caught up, if possible, to the other birds so he can take care of himself a little better.

Would something like meal worms be good to get this chick caught up in weight to the others?

thanks
gary
Wow, that is very light... even the bigger one is small for it's age. Are they on a turkey or gamebird starter?

-Kathy

they've been on Purina premium chick starter from day 1 until about 2 weeks ago when I started them on the 20% protein crumbles food and half of the chick food. They use about 10oz/day and maybe another oz is on the ground.

plus I through in some green grass/weeds/clover for them once or twice a day.

The pea's usually go for what ever the guineas go for. if the guineas go to the feeder the pea follow.

gary

Your chicks chicks weigh 250 grams and 400 grams at 8 weeks when that should weigh twice that, so I think you need to think about changing your feed. Maybe someone else with a scale can confirm this?

-Kathy

I agree with Kathy about needing higher protein feed. 28% gamebird works. If you are giving them anything other than starter they are going to need grit. To help with weight and immunity, boiled & crushed egg yolks are a good treat.

So, after a few days of having the 3 other pea chicks separated from the sick one, I put them back in the bigger cage together and they seamed to get alone better, but today I noticed that all of the sick pea chick's crown feathers have been plucked out. I don't see any blood or any other injury and the sick one is eating well and growing.
Is this a sign of anything, it just so happens that this one is looking more and more like a hen where the other 3 are looking like males.
Would they be picking on her for a reason?

thanks
gary

Back
Top Bottom