Best way to get chicks back in the brooder/coop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickp, Jul 5, 2010.

1. chickp

chickp In the Brooder

May 3, 2010
    Georgia
    hey there,
    This is our first batch of chicks and we are loving them. We pick them up every day and recently have let them peck around on our screened porch (where their brooder is) which they LOVE. In the past couple days it is super hard to "catch" them to get them back in their box! I don't want to scare them but sometimes I just need them in it so I can go about my business, let the dog out, etc. They had been fine to scoop up and put back in, but now they're running from me and dh and dd (she's 7 and LOVES the chicks, pretty calm with them). [​IMG] I tried the yogurt trick today and it worked for a couple of them, and one is just stubborn! Tips and tricks would be helpful. Hoping to get them in a coop in the next couple weeks, they are in a giant box but seem like they'll be ready for a coop and run very soon (we just need to finish it up!). I would love to let them out in the yard some (we have done this a bit) but I am afraid I won't be able to get them back in! Oh and they are three weeks old today. [​IMG]

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by