Best way to get our gander to father the goslings

brae09

Chirping
Dec 29, 2018
About three weeks ago, we lost our beautiful Chinese Swan goose to a predator. It was a heart-breaking day. Her mate, a Toulouse gander, was at a loss for a week, but now hangs with our ducks, acting as their faithful guard. (He did the same before the Chinese goose came along.) The goose left behind a few eggs. We decided to incubate them and they are doing well. We have about 10 days to go. I read in this forum that ganders could be good caretakers for goslings. Our gander is quite gentle and intelligent. We call him "Father Goose" because he acts like one to the ducks. So, we think the chance is good that he will take on the father role for our goslings. My questions are:

How soon should we introduce the goslings to Father Goose? Should we take care of the goslings for a week first?

What is the best way to encourage Father Goose to bond with the goslings? Should we keep the gander and the goslings in a pen initially?

When a gander does take on the parent role, would he keep the goslings warm by tucking them under his wings when necessary? What about at night? Should we bring the goslings inside or leave them with Father Goose? I guess I am not sure how much he can do and how much we still need to help.

Thanks a lot.

My first gander came with 3 goslings. Had never seen them until they got home Put them in separate pens side by side for a few days. I would put the goslings in the chicken coop at night (they were 4 weeks old). The 3rd night, the gander completely lost it when I put the babies to bed. After an hour I caved and through him in the coop with them I checked in on them a few times and they were contently sleeping together.
My current gander sits on the nest with the girls and the goslings get underneath him. When I refill their feeder, he's the one to tell them. I've had great luck with ganders raising goslings.
I would test him with the goslings. 1-2 week olds would be a good time to try it. I would place him in the brooder in case he abandons them they still have a heat source.

Putting the gander in a brooder is a great idea! I always hear people talk about ganders being aggressive. I never knew they could also be such tender-hearted creatures.

It took about a week or two but Father Goose and the goslings have formed a pack. At first, Father Goose was very nervous, interested but very nervous. He would check them out from the distance and never wanted to get too close. We tried to pen them together but that just got Father Goose even more nervous. We pretty much gave up trying and just let them be. He gradually warmed up to the goslings and now they are together almost all the time. The other night he even hopped into their little pen to spend the night with them. He never got to the point of cuddling the babies like a mother would. But this is pretty good for a guy without a woman's lead.

Back
Top Bottom