BEST WAY TO GET RID OF FOXES

leave a old radio playing fox dont come around people, coons will.

you may have a coon problem. Trap live or leg hold. killed them here in Ohio. check with your state laws.

my husband got a kick out of the "leaving human scent behind" we do have a neighbor that is usually two sheets in the wind, so to say. he would be happy to help after all that beer. that would give me nightmares after seeing that image, but i did buy the hardware cloth and metal clipped it to the pens. i also moved the perches and nestboxes. gave up on the livetrap, it just made a yard ornament. so hate to say it but after the dogs get put up it's hambuger and rat poison, so bon appetite mr fox!

Hey Pokey, wish i was closer i would rid you of your problems, whether you free range your chickens or not..

fox are really not hard to catch in leg traps.

If you have the basics of trapping its really not hard to do, you just have to be very clean in how you handle the traps and sets...traps must be boiled and dyed and then waxed and always where rubber gloves and boots when handling the traps and making your sets...sets are the key to catching them if made correctly

Another thing to remember if using the "proper leg traps", animals can be put into dog crates unharmed and moved after trapping them in leg traps..

Just this week i released 2 small possums and 1 small raccoon onto game-lands up on top of the blue mtn far away from any homes or farm, as i felt they where to young to dispatch.

I do and will trap for local farmers and home owners close by me if the need help..free of charge of course..using box and leg traps..

Charlie

Last edited:
i wish you were closer too. i have always been an advicate of releasing wildlife. i would welcome anyone trapping them...we did try for several days. i have seen several walk under the tree stand( i deer hunt) and love to watch them. i just wish they didn't love to eat my chickens! by the way, we were intending to release them on our own property that we deer hunt on that is 42 acres and an hour away. i don't want to give someone else the same problem.

A good old fashioned Scarecrow may do the job.

Urinating around the perimeter of your property does work as a deterent for coyotes and foxes. However it should be male urine. Female urine can actually attract their attention.
Now guys this doesn't mean that you need to "go on a watering tour" just void in a designated Mason jar and carry outside.

Pokey, Well said on saving some..I don't kill everything i catch, last year i released a few super young red foxes as well as other young critters..

I mainly take out the mature animals, as the young ones still don't know how to hunt and so i give them a second chance to learn.
if they come back from the 10 miles away release area, then they will normally fall victim to me..

I always spray them with a little no pic dye and then i know if they are the same animals released in season trapping by me.

You know you could always look to a local trapper group down your way or even ask at a local hunting club and I'm sure there will always be some trapper to help take care of your fox problems there. Of course they will want to keep the animals for the work they put in.. it sure beats loosing chickens..

Charlie

Last edited:
Please reconsider your poisoning plans. This should be a last resort. This will also not ensure that this fox won't get more of your flock as poison may take several days to work. Often times the intended target drops some of the bait and other animals ingest the poison. Keep in mind that the carcass of the poison victim is consumed by other wildlife and then you get secondary poisoning.

I have to agree poison is a no no, I my self would never use it ever..

Trapping and or hunting is the answer for me..

I know a person that used it on mice and it wond up killing some and making some of there birds very sick, what happened was the mice ate it and the chickens ended up eating the mice..yuk

You must be very careful using it, that is for sure...

Charlie

Last edited:
where do you get the dye? i would like to try that if we could ever get something to actually go into the live trap. also, i worked all day yesterday to strengthen the coops so we don't have this happen again, i have kept birds in a dog kennel for about 5 years now w/o 1 single problem until now. i am wondering if something was wrong w/ the fox for it to start doing this. maybe it was old?.
anyway, we will work to improve the situation because i am laying awake at night wondering about the birds or kicking myself about the fox. but thank you guys for all your help and suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom