Best way to kill sick/deformed chicks

Anne

Songster
12 Years
Feb 11, 2007
Bellingham, WA
I have chicks due to hatch tomorrow, and I was wondering what the "best" (easiest & most humane) way is to do away with newly hatched chicks that obviously aren't going to make it. I want to be prepared...

I would appreciate any advice,

Thanks,

Anne

With very young birds I use starting fluid. It has a high concentration of ether in it that can put a baby bird down in the blink of an eye. Its hard but when you realize the only life is one filled with pain or struggle its best. I use a container with a tight fitting lid, saturate a cloth and set the peep down inside. Don't do this around the other birds, take it away from the coop and do it outside its extremely flammable.

Here's hoping that you got prepared for nothing.

Anne,
I just had to go through this myself.
Do a search for "dispatching" and you'll see the thread.
In it there is a link for a website I found that was also very helpful.
I hope you have no reason to have to use the info!

Welcome to the site by the way!

I had to use the starter fluid on a 4 month old pullet. I hope you don't have to use any method. Get a tight fitting container. It can be used as a casket,also. I read that some people like dri ice better than starter fluid, but I don't know how easy that would be to have on hand.

You guys are cruel!!!
sad.png
Just wack it's head off for the chicks sake!!!
sad.png

Quote:
Yes, whack it's head off or brake it's neck.

Gassing, suffocating with CO2 etc is cruel and reminds me gassing humans in Holocaust.

I find it disturbing and disgusting.

We had a chick that had deformed eyes and ended up dying on his own but our 4 H leader had recommended putting it in the freezer in a cloth. She said if a hen was raising the chicks she would leave one that was weak by itself and it would die from the cold. It basically just goes to sleep in the freezer. I probably should have done because the poor little chick kept cheeping for a few days straight. It did get a little food and water so I had a bit of hope but in the long run I realize it suffered and that wasn't right. Just my two sense.

Back
Top Bottom