1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best way to Move a Broody with out bleeding?? lol

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BarefootMom, Apr 12, 2011.

1. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    any genuine ideas on how to do this? I FINALLY have a broody, Iris the EE... but with her in the coop it only leaves 3 other nest boxes for 29 hens...

SO I need to move her, I already have a nice little setup for her complete with makeshift nestbox... BUT how do I do it without being pecked to death?? I am thinking a carhartt coat and leather gloves...she is mighty grouchy [​IMG]

2. Suechick

Suechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    Quote:At night when she is sleeping is the safest time. She'll probably want to go back to her first nest so you should lock her in to the new one until she settles.
    Good luck!

3. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    I finally decided just to do it. And I do believe the leather gloves was a MUST! I zipped my carhartt to the top and put on leather gloves...she pecked at my arms and my hands. I had to do it today, the RIRs were causeing quite a stir in the hen house b/c Iris was in THEIR box. Don't cha know she had to lay in the most used box ever! lol She is now currently in a LARGE WIRE dog crate in the new coop--complete with nest box, food, and water.

4. wsmith

wsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Yup! Leather gloves and sturdy long sleeved coat. We had some BR hens that got downright mean when they went broody!

5. juliette2009

juliette2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2009
    Wadmalaw Island, SC
    My girls are usually pretty good, but every once and a while, those gloves are a necessity!

6. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    One of my girls is trying to be. She wouldn't budge off the eggs, so I asked a friend to collect them. [​IMG]

7. QualityPolish

QualityPolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Utah
    Haha! This sounds like me when I had silkies years ago. I had one hen that was so grouchy when she went broody. I'd always walk clear around her nesting area when I'd tend to their water etc.

8. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Broody hens can be scary, but I've had soo many that they are not nearly as scary now as the first one was [​IMG]
    I always take them a little extra food and treats and give the other chickens food away from them. After a day or so, I can go in the nest and take the hen off without a fight. She knows I'm gonna get her off anyway, so why not come off for food? I get the eggs and she gets fed and allowed to sit on the nest as long as she wants. [​IMG]
    But when I want to hatch some chicks no one is broody [​IMG]

9. jomercer

jomercer Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Who is now a *former* friend? [​IMG]

10. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Quote:Who is now a *former* friend? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not yet, but even with gloves you'da thought he was reaching for a rattler instead of eggs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by