Best way to protect Muscovy nest?

thepregnantgod

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 11, 2012
A few months ago I almost had a full clutch of Muscovy ducklings hatch right on my front porch (a small bush close to it). Unfortunately, about a week prior to hatch something stole every single egg (without breaking a shell) and scared off the hen.

Now she's got a full clutch, turned broody and is doing a wonderful job. I want to protect the nest from predators this round.

We live in a suburban neighborhood so I suspect it's a raccoon or possum. I can't imagine a fox/coyote.

Anyone have any experience with this type of thing? Should I move the nest and her (i.e. hold her, then build a nest in a large dog kennel or such, put her eggs there, then lock her in there for a while so she settles down then allow her to move in/out?)

What about building a small plastic fence around the nest area?
Putting dog feces in the bush near the nest? They are friendly with my lab in the backyard so it won't bother her but I've heard it scares off other predators like 'coons and possums.

I'm grasping here. I suspect this predator will come just as these eggs are nice and juicy for the kill - I'd rather save them without incubating them.

I doubt a plastic fence will stop anything, but if you could do a wire enclosure that might work.

If you have a dog kennel set up, moving her might be the best option.

I'd move her ASAP

Back
Top Bottom