Best way to raise this coop

My Little Monitor Coop was originally 18" off the ground. When we cut off the decayed structure we're going to change that to 24" because it was too little headroom for the Brahma rooster once the deep litter built up. Any higher than 24" will be too high for me to clean it readily because I'm short and can't reach the back wall anyway.

Even at 24" it will be challenging to get under there, but since it's only 4x4 I could retrieve eggs, etc. with a hoe.

Great thanks! I just didn't know if wood or blocks was best. We built our current one on treated and sealed pallets.

Not a lot of wind and will be up against a barn but maybe some pooling of water when the snow melts ;)

Anyone have suggestions/wins or losses with raising coops high enough for chickens to be able to walk and hang out underneath?
I would go with stone rocks or cinder blocks. they will not rot out.

I can't walk in it. It is about between 4-5 ft tall (over to 5). I will be able to reach all areas bytake, but not actually walk in/stand up

If you raise it up, I'd go a minimum of 2', 3' would be better for access underneath, unless you block it off and don't use it as part of the run. But at some point, the higher it is, the more difficult it could become to clean the coop out. So before raising it, really look at the layout and at what height is going to work best for all scenarios.

Anyone have suggestions/wins or losses with raising coops high enough for chickens to be able to walk and hang out underneath?
Both of my coops 4' x 5' and 4' x 6' are on cement blocks.
20210718_142803_resized.jpg
20210820_135246_resized_1.jpg
20210918_135302_resized.jpg

Both coops have legs with supports that sit on blocks. Space under coops is 18" to 20".

Floor sits at wheelbarrow height for easy clean out.
20200705_191713_resized.jpg

Both coops are heavy and sit freely on blocks. GC

Both of my coops 4' x 5' and 4' x 6' are on cement blocks.View attachment 2838233View attachment 2838245View attachment 2838246
Both coops have legs with supports that sit on blocks. Space under coops is 18" to 20".

Floor sits at wheelbarrow height for easy clean out.View attachment 2838253
Both coops are heavy and sit freely on blocks. GC

Just a note, because chicken coops are small and light, orienting the blocks this way isn't a problem.

But for other storage buildings, especially one where you might put books or other heavy goods, the blocks should be oriented with the channels vertical rather than horizontal. Concrete is strong in compression but weak in tension and thus can be crushed in this orientation.

How do I know? We have a shed that's badly tilted and has to be re-moved because incompetent shed movers set the blocks with the holes horizontal instead of vertical.

Back
Top Bottom