Best way to seperate a broody?

nuttyredhead

Songster
10 Years
May 3, 2010
Southern NH
I have 2 broodys actually. Can I seperate them together? I have a wire dog crate, that is definetely big enough (huge for just 2 girls!). I am concerned about keeping their water unfrozen this time of year though. Maybe it would be best to leave them in their nesting boxes where they are now? I have read so many things that say so many different things, it is hard To know what to do!!!!

You do not HAVE to seperate them but I find it much easier. If you do not, you need to mark the original eggs and remove the ones deposited each day by other birds laying behind them and pushing them forward. You also run the chance that the original eggs could get pushed out from under her andleft uncovered for too long. I always moved mine to the isolation pen with plenty of food and water and nesting materials.

See my BYC page - the small area I use for integration was also used for broodies.

Quote:
That is a great pen! I have marked the eggs, And Im checking several times daily (bordering on obssesive lol!!!). I would like to move them but i only have 1 heated base for the water. The temps have been freezing and below and arent looking to go up any! I guess I will have to wait and see!!!!

Back
Top Bottom