Best way to store my fertile hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RoosterMoose, Mar 11, 2013.

1. RoosterMoose

RoosterMoose Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2013
    Missouri Ozarks
    Just a quick question,
    I have a few laying hens in my coop, of which only 2 are currently laying. They happen to be my SLW's (BR's have stopped laying for the time being). I have one SLW rooster as well, so for now it is a pretty easy guess as to what I would be getting out of an eg if I put it into the incubator. My question is, since I am only getting 2 eggs a day, I would obviously like to store them until I get a reasonable amount worth incubating, so what is the best way to store them, and for how long can I store them that way? I have heard putting them in the refrigerator for up to a week works? Anybody have any suggestions?

2. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    bumped your question because i would love to see the answer.

3. rynegold

rynegold Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Me too.... in fact, I have eggs, fertile eggs that have been refrigerated for several weeks in my frige and my question is: can I put these in an incubator and expect anything good to come of it?? I just bought a new incubator which is here in a few days and, I'm getting Favarolle eggs everyday and they are the focus of my "hatching" intentions but amassing 30+ eggs takes some time, so frige or no?

experts? can you give me/us some tips?

4. gingerly1983

gingerly1983 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2013
    Grand Ridge, Fl
    go here, about 1/3 of the way down the page it has info on how to store your eggs until you are ready to incubate.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

Also...I've read a lot of threads that say collect eggs for 7 days, and then incubate. The fertility drops after 1 week of sitting, and drops drastically after 2 weeks. Of course you will have some that say they collect for several weeks and then incubate. I'm just trying to offer info that I read on here. :)

5. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    yeah look at older posts. this question has been asked a lot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by