Best way to store walnuts?

amysue2012

Songster
12 Years
Oct 6, 2007
Montpelier Ohio
What is the best way to store walnuts? We just picked and cracked open a few pounds today and I would like to store them for baking this winter. Can I just seal them in a Ball canning jar? Or would they mold do to being fresh? Would I have to let them air on a cookie sheet first? Or would it be best to freeze them in bags?

Im just not sure on how to preserve fresh nuts please help.

Quote:
Not sure, since you cracked them all - we usually just left the in the shell and cracked them as needed. They stay pretty good that way. You could perhaps roast them a bit, to dry them out more? Just guessing - never tried it myself.

Peace -
Meri

The thought of freezing them in the shell never even crossed my mind...Maybe I'll try that with a few of the rest. Any ideas on putting them in a food dehidrator and then canning?

I froze all of my corn and green beans this year and tomorrow is butchering day for rabbits and chickens so Im nearly out of freezer room.

I used to vacuum seal them then toss them in the cupboard with the canned goods. Opened 1 bag 5 years after sealing it (found it in the back) and they were still fresh and good.

Simply put the dry walnuts in freezer bags and store them in your freezer. If you have a lot of walnuts, don't fill the bags too much so they can be stacked. I have had them in the freezer up to 2 years. If they are stored in the cupboard, the walnut meats will become moldy and you will have worm problems. I don't know if they can be stored in jars.

It's not the same but, when I buy a pound of bagged walnuts(brand name) I always store in the freezer. I have had some for over a year and I take out what I want, and ziplock the rest back up. Nuts taste fine. I prefer to freeze them because if any are buggy, I don't want them moving around in front of me.

Back
Top Bottom