Best way to treat these injuries. GRAPHIC PICS

Quote:
Henry,

I pulled this turkey off of our farm yesterday and it was raised with 7 other turkeys, 15 guineas, 50 meat birds and 15 ducks. I never had a problem with the turkeys doing anything like this until today.

I had him in a cage just in case he got aggressive with my "house" chickens. I never expected something like this to happen. I just thought the chickens would be smarter than that but I guess they don't have the capacity to think in panic situations.

Take care,

Tami

yes that is better... warming the rice/ letting them sit on that (put towel in between) is really quite effective (or a hot water bottle) and will provide warmth from the bottom (you can then put the light a bit higher to ensure they do not get overly heated from the lamp)... having them in a cardboard box is also helpful as this is insulating also and helps keep the birds body heat in.

I finally got them cleaned up and the one with the missing skin on the head is doing very well. It is very alert, drinking and eating.

The one with the eye injuries seems just as alert but it really isn't eating. I did see it drinking though so that is a good sign. I think it may have lost an eye but I don't know for sure yet.

Those poor, sweet babies. I feel so terrible for them.

They will be staying in the house for awhile until they are completely healed.

Thanks so much for all of the help. I've never had to treat wounds this bad before and I didn't know which products I should use. I love this board!

Take care,

Tami

WHAT HAPPEND!!! IM SOOO SORRY>>>if that happend to my silkies, would freak....!

Quote:
Basically, our Thanksgiving dinner got ahold of my 2 Specked Sussex babies. He was in a cage inside of the chicken coop and the babies put their head inside of his cage. He tore them all up and I think in their panic they tried to go forward instead of going backwards to get free.

My stomach cramped up when my son brought them inside after he found them. They look better now that they are cleaned up.

I saw the one with the eye injury eating a few minutes ago. As long as I can keep them from getting infections I think they will be OK.

They are such sweet babies and I know their other sibling is freaking out without them. Those 3 go everywhere together. I put the other one in the Silkie pen. I know they will keep him company.

Take care,

Tami

Wow!!!
I'm so sorry your babies got injured...you're doing all that you can for them already...just keep warm, calm and quiet...Even if the other one has lost it's eye, it can still live a full life...
hugs.gif

Sound like you have things well under control. Good luck with the rehab!

One word of encouragement - one of our EE's had some kind of eye infection at 7-8 wks old. We treated it and the infection went away after 4-5 days, however she never regained sight in that eye. Now, she lives a very normal, although one-eyed, life with the rest of the flock and those who are more dominant take care of her! If she gets lost when free ranging all she does is make her little 'peeping' sound while looking around for the others and someone comes and gets her and brings her to the rest of the flock!
Amazing stuff to watch, that chicken love.
love.gif

Brenda

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom