Best way to water the flock?

Quote:
I'm sure you saw my other post on the water pressure required. Are they actually leaking, or are the birds just making a mess because the nipples are supplying too much water when triggered? I would think that they shouldn't leak even under a couple of feet of water column pressure. Actually, the higher pressure should help them to seal shut even better. It could be that there is debris starting to clog up the nipples allowing them not to seal properly, especially since you are collecting water from the roof and not filtering it. The valve is actually a small ball that sits on a machined seat. When the nipple is pushed to one side the top of the nipple unseats the ball and allows the water to flow down the nipple. Debris can collect between the ball and the seat, causing the ball to not seat properly.

We use commercially made nipple watering lines. It is recommended to filter the water. We have a 5 micron cartridge filter where the water enters the barn. They are also made so that the user can bypass the regulator and flush out the lines with regular water pressure. We turn a ball valve on the regulator which bypasses the regulator and the high pressure pushes open a spring loaded valve at the other end of the line which has a hose connected that exits the barn. Once a week I flush the lines to help blow out any debris, bio-film, and loose mineral deposits.

The homemade waterers work, but there are some nuances there that you have to deal with, such as varying water pressures and there being no easy way to clean the lines. If you think there is junk in the lines, you may just have to remove the nipples and tap on them and rinse them to get any debris out. While the nipples are out let the water run through your supply pipe to flush any debris.

Mac, the barrel has been filled with water from the hose for just one week. In fact the leaking started immediately on those 2 nipples. As I mentioned, the water is being filtered by a tight knit weave screen (like mosquito screening we all have on our home windows). There is no way for debris of any kind to get into the barrel. This system is only one week old, so no chance yet for anything to be breaking down in the water.

I see 2 of the nipples leaking directly from where the chickens drink. I think I also have the problem you describe in addition, where they are being messy. I may just have two bum nipples. Haven't tried to replace them yet, and I have two extras. I'm tempted to try the drinker cups and see what happens.

Quote:
clap.gif
B R I L L I A N T ! ! ! This is going to be the kind of set-up I've got to go with. As I said in an earlier post, my backyard hose faucet is outside the back of my house, at least 75-100 ft from the coop. Even without the temps hitting 100 degrees, I've found that water sitting in that hose stretched across the back yard is HOTTER THAN BLAZES when I turn it on...so that option is out or I'd burn the chicken's lips off!
gig.gif

Here comes the stupid question...how did you mount that faucet into the base of that barrell without it leaking??? Once that's done, I think I've got the rest figured out. Those nipples just get pushed into the PVC hole you drilled right? Do they fit tightly or do you have to add anything like an O-ring, teflon tape, or something to make it water tight? I've seen those barrells on Craig's List...I'm going to check and see if I can hold of one this week. Even with the scren over the top, any worries about mosquito eggs/larvae and stuff getting laid in it? Thanks so much for sharing your pics!

I'm also very interested in exactly how the best way to attach a drain to the barrel without leaking. I was going to use a nice thick rubber grommet (for a thin metal valve cover) with a 1/2 inch hole and just use a nice bead of silicon caulk. I have yet to do that, I'm nervous about messing up I guess. I'm going to use pvc down to the little giant 2550 brass valve waterer, so I think they call for 1/2 inch pipe.

So... as for the height of the tower...heheee, its for looks... to scale for my little house-like coop, I'm going to paint it to look like the tower my town used to have a long time ago...I' going to post a picture at the end of the week.

Yes, Walltenters; my ducks and geese are just terrible to their water or water recepticles...I love them even though their sole happiness it to muddy their water and make mud puddles near their waterers, or wherever else they can... its like they're sick in the head. I'm going to try to get chickens next year too...I just got ducks and geese first.

Ifreem2, thanks for the pictures...especially of the barrel's drain.

What size PVC tubing/pipe do you recommend for the push-in type nipples? I was thinking of going with a 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe to drill and push those up in. I'm thinking it may reduce water pressure through the nipples and will be easier to clean. Instead of capping the "far end," I thought I would use a threaded end cap so I can flush out the pipe/tubing from time to time when necessary. I also figure this is a seasonal type of set-up since it will likely freeze during the winter months (even here in South Carolina). Maybe I'm making this more difficult than it is, but I'm trying to think ahead... Great thread!

I also figure this is a seasonal type of set-up since it will likely freeze during the winter months (even here in South Carolina). Maybe I'm making this more difficult than it is, but I'm trying to think ahead... Great thread!

Am I glad I won't have to factor freezing temperatures into any set-up... what a pain. You know though, they do have water heating solutions (solar i think but i haven't explored it as it poses no problem for me) for your main holding tank... You could always put a cheapo fish tank heater in your tank too... if you want to run an extension cord- I just thought of that because I had one lying around.​

Very interesting concept with that float system! I just want to try and avoid the dumb ba$t@rd$ from pooping in their water. I've got to replace water on a daily basis cause they like to "bless" the water in the only way they know!
lol.png

To answer all your questions:

1. Make the hole in the barrel slightly smaller than the drain, and then you kinda screw it in. After you've got it in there, I use a bead of P&L Roofing Sealant (in the roofing department at your hardware store). P&L is a fish safe black type of "caulk" that I use in my gallon 5,000 koi pond, so I know it is animal safe (called the company to find out, and it's just rubber). You work that in with a gloved finger (it's highly staining!) on both sides and after 24 hours you are ready for water.

2. Take note that the there is a hole on the top with a brass fitting. That's an overflow, so if it ever rains too much, the water at that upper point will simply pour outta the barrel. I just need to put a short piece of hose in it so it drains away from the coop.

3. I do have a screw end on one side so I can clean out the pipe with the nipples, so that is recommended indeed.

4. The nipples I have are the screw in type, so you make the hole and simple twist 'em in. I then caulked all around the base of the screw point to prevent leakages from that area.

5. I have that mosquito screening on the top of the barrel, so they can't get in there to lay eggs. So, no, haven't had any trouble with that.

In my case, I do think the fact that the barrel is so large causes pressure on the nipples, so I'm going to buy a pressure regulator to help with that. I'm happy with the system, it just still need some tweaks. With water so far from my coop, it works in that it prevents my having to lug buckets of water.

Quote:
Thanks for the great instruction. Was wondering though...can't you just close the faucet some (maybe have it almost turned completely off) to reduce the pressure on the nipples?

Back
Top Bottom